1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating error of a multi-varialbe function

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    I have a function defined as:

y = f(x1, x2, x3,... , xn)

xi has an error of ei, where 1 <= i <= n.

How can I calculate the error of y in terms of e1,...,en?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends explicitly on the functional form of f as well as any dependencies among the Xi.

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3
    So what is this dependancy, is there a general formula?

For instance, how do you calculate,
    p = v . i (errors: ep, ev and ei)
    R = v / i (errors: eR, ev and ei)
    errors of "p" and "R"?

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the errors in x1, x2, ..., xn are e1, e2, ..., en, respectively, then the error in f(x1, x2, ..., xn) is [itex]E(f)= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1}e_1+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2}e_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_n}e_n[/itex], approximately. (Approximately because we are using the derivative rather than the actual difference- but that will give a good upper bound on the possible error.)

In particular, if O(x,y)= x+ y then [itex]e_o= 1(e_x)+ 1(e_y)= e_x+ e_y[/itex], if P(v, i)= vi, then [itex]e_p= i e_v+ v e_i[/itex] and if P(v, i)= v/i= vi-1, then [itex]e_R= i^{-1} e_v- vi^{-2}e_i[/itex]

Notice that
    [tex]\frac{e_P}{P}= \frac{i}{vi}e_v+ \frac{v}{vi} e_i= \frac{e_v}{v}+ \frac{e_i}{i}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{e_R}{R}= \frac{e_v}{v}- \frac{e_i}{i}[/tex]

illustrating an old mechanics "rule of thumb": if measurements are added, their errors add and if errors are multiplied, their relative errors add.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. Jan 18, 2010 #5
    Those are some great formulas, thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook