1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Experimental Error of Braggs Equation

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am writing a lab report for an X-ray diffraction. I have been attempting to come up with an equation for the error using formulas some people from college gave me and also some I found on wikipedia but I am quite sure I am doing it wrong. The only variable is the angle where the maximum intensities are found. I am using Bragg's law to calculate the spacing between the atoms.

2. Relevant equations

D = (N*wavelength)/(2*sin(x))

As there is no error in N, wavelength, or "2", we can let that equal A.

D = A/sin(x)

Some equations I was given:

Z = aX
    dZ = adX

Z = X^a
    dZ/z = |a|dx/x

Z = SinX
    dZ = dX CosX

3. The attempt at a solution

D = Z = A/sin(x) = A (sin(x))^-1 = A f(y)^-1

I have tried loads of ways of calculating this but I keep getting silly answers. Any help, ideas or links would be really appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Lemenks, and welcome to PF :)

I don't see an attempt at solution under 3, only a repeat of D=A/sin(x).

From your account, I think what you are asking is: What is the error in D = A/sin(x), given the error in x. Correct ?

Your relevant equations are some examples of error propagation in functions of a single variable. Generally: ##df = {df\over dx} dx##, which in error analysis is extended to finite differences: ##\Delta f = {df\over dx} \Delta x##.
    Do you know how to find the derivative of 1/sin(x) ?

And I am interested in the way you determine ##\Delta x## too. Is it really just a simple reading off of a single angle ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted