1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating force and work done with 3D vectors

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    The question is as follows:

An object of mass m=1 follows the trajectory:

r(t) = 4 ln(t) i + 6t1/2 j + 2t k

Calculate the force acting on the object and hence find work done between t=1 and t=2.

I know that Force = Mass * Acceleration

Therefore, F(t) = 1 * a(t)

I also know that a(t) = r(t)''

After differentiating I end up with r(t)'' = -4t-2 i - 3/2 t-3/2 j

So I've ended up with

F(t) = -4t-2 i - 3/2 t-3/2 j

Is that my final answer for the force acting on the object, do I leave it in vector form?

For the work done part, I know that Work Done = Force x Distance

I have force and displacement in vector form but I don't know how to end up with a completely numerical value as I've got a time interval for t, I'm assuming there will be some sort of integration involved.

Can someone please tell me if I have done the first part correctly (calculating the force acting on the object) and if so how can I use this along with the conditions t=1 and t=2 to calculate work done? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2
    I think so, for the general concept of force contains its direction.
    For the remained part, I suggest you try to calculate the tiny work ##dW## with the tiny displacement ##d\mathbf{r}## and then get their sum.

4. Aug 19, 2015 #3
    Thankyou for your reply. If i'm understanding what your suggesting correctly, I would now do:

∫dw = ∫ (F ⋅ dr) between the limits of t=2 and t=1

This leaves me with

Δw = [ 4t-1 i + 3t-1/2 j + 2 k ]⋅[4 ln(t) i + 6t1/2 j + 2t k]

With the limits being 2 and 1, I dont think I have done what you meant correctly as when I plug the limits in I end up with a negative answer for work done, any idea where i'm going wrong?

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted