Calculating force and work done with 3D vectors

In summary: If I'm understanding what your suggesting correctly, you would now do:∫dw = ∫ (F ⋅ dr) between the limits of t=2 and t=1This leaves me withΔw = -4t-2 i - 3/2 t-3/2 j
r.physics
The question is as follows:

An object of mass m=1 follows the trajectory:

r(t) = 4 ln(t) i + 6t1/2 j + 2t k

Calculate the force acting on the object and hence find work done between t=1 and t=2.

I know that Force = Mass * Acceleration

Therefore, F(t) = 1 * a(t)

I also know that a(t) = r(t)''

After differentiating I end up with r(t)'' = -4t-2 i - 3/2 t-3/2 j

So I've ended up with

F(t) = -4t-2 i - 3/2 t-3/2 j

Is that my final answer for the force acting on the object, do I leave it in vector form?

For the work done part, I know that Work Done = Force x Distance

I have force and displacement in vector form but I don't know how to end up with a completely numerical value as I've got a time interval for t, I'm assuming there will be some sort of integration involved.

Can someone please tell me if I have done the first part correctly (calculating the force acting on the object) and if so how can I use this along with the conditions t=1 and t=2 to calculate work done? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
r.physics said:
Is that my final answer for the force acting on the object, do I leave it in vector form?
I think so, for the general concept of force contains its direction.
For the remained part, I suggest you try to calculate the tiny work ##dW## with the tiny displacement ##d\mathbf{r}## and then get their sum.

tommyxu3 said:
I think so, for the general concept of force contains its direction.
For the remained part, I suggest you try to calculate the tiny work ##dW## with the tiny displacement ##d\mathbf{r}## and then get their sum.

Thankyou for your reply. If I'm understanding what your suggesting correctly, I would now do:

∫dw = ∫ (F ⋅ dr) between the limits of t=2 and t=1

This leaves me with

Δw = [ 4t-1 i + 3t-1/2 j + 2 k ]⋅[4 ln(t) i + 6t1/2 j + 2t k]

With the limits being 2 and 1, I don't think I have done what you meant correctly as when I plug the limits in I end up with a negative answer for work done, any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!

What is force and work done?

Force is a physical quantity that can change the state of motion of an object, or cause it to accelerate. Work done is the energy transferred to or from an object by a force, resulting in a change in the object's position or state of motion.

How are 3D vectors used in calculating force and work done?

3D vectors can represent the direction and magnitude of a force or displacement in three-dimensional space. By using vector addition and multiplication, we can calculate the resultant force and the work done by that force.

What are the units of force and work done?

The SI unit of force is Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. The SI unit of work done is also Joule (J), which is equivalent to 1 N*m.

What is the formula for calculating force using 3D vectors?

The formula for calculating force using 3D vectors is F = m*a, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration vector.

How is the work done by a force calculated using 3D vectors?

The work done by a force can be calculated using the formula W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force vector, and d is the displacement vector. This formula takes into account the direction and magnitude of both the force and displacement.