Calculating Heat Conduction Time for a Wooden Cylinder on a Hot Plate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
PPMC
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
If a wooden cylinder at 298K with perfectly insulated sides (other than the one in contact with the hot plate) where placed with one end on a hot plate until any point on the cylinder reached a temperature of 523K and the power of the hot plate is known and it all goes into the wood. How long would it take?

I created this question for an essay which is intended to go beyond the syllabus so my textbook does not cover this topic. I know that the temperature will first be reached at the part of the cylinder which is in contact with the hot plate, however I don't know the total amount of heat required because each part of the cylinder will reach a different temperature.
 
Physics news on Phys.org