Calculating Intensity at a Distance of 200 m from Three Intersecting Waves

  • Thread starter Thread starter kasse
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interference Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kasse
Messages
383
Reaction score
1
If the amplitude of three intersecting waves is given by

[tex]y(r,t) = \frac{A}{r}e^{i(kr-wt)}[1-2cos(kdsin\theta)][/tex]

how can I then find the intensity at r = 200 m as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex]?

I know that intensity is the square of the amplitude. Should I simply square y(r,t)? If I do, I get I as a function of t as well, because of the part [tex]e^{i(kr-wt)}[/tex].
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kasse said:
If the amplitude of three intersecting waves is given by

[tex]y(r,t) = \frac{A}{r}e^{i(kr-wt)}[1-2cos(kdsin\theta)][/tex]

how can I then find the intensity at r = 200 m as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex]?

I know that intensity is the square of the amplitude. Should I simply square y(r,t)? If I do, I get I as a function of t as well, because of the part [tex]e^{i(kr-wt)}[/tex].

intensity is [tex]I=A^* A[/tex]
where A is the amplitude
so that makes the exponential term go away