Find the intensity as function of y (interference between two propagating waves)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the interference at a point on a flat screen perpendicular to the x axis, given a spherical wave and a plane wave propagating parallel to the x axis. The solution involves using the approximation for r and a cosine function, but the answer given in the book appears to be incorrect.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Let a spherical wave propagate from the origin, $y = ADcos(wt-2\pi r/ \lambda)/r$. Also, let a plane wave propagate parallel to the x axis, $y = Acos(wt-2\pi r/ \lambda)$. At x = D there is a flat screen perpendicular to the x axis. Find the interference at the point y on the screen as function of the interference at y=0.$$ E = (A e^{i(wt-2\pi D/ \lambda)} + AD/r e^{i(wt-2\pi r/ \lambda)} ) $$

$$ I = Q* (A^2 + (AD/r )^2 + 2AD*A/r cos{(2\pi D/ \lambda -2\pi r/ \lambda)} ) $$
Now, i pretend to use $$r \approx D$$ outside the cos, and $$r = \sqrt{ D^2 + y^2} \approx D(1+(y^2)/(2*D^2))$$ inside it.
So that $$ I = Q* (A^2 + A^2 + 2A^2 cos{(2\pi (y^2)/(2*D \lambda))} ) = 2A^2(1+cos{(2\pi (y^2)/(2*D \lambda))}) = 4A^2cos(\pi (y^2)/(2*D \lambda) = I_o cos(\pi (y^2)/(2D \lambda)) $$

THe problem is that the solutions is ##I_o cos(\pi (y^2)/(D \lambda)) ## And i have no idea where is my mistake.

Attachments

• m.png
    m.png
    4 KB · Views: 68
Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
$$2A^2(1+cos{(2\pi (y^2)/(2*D \lambda))}) = 4A^2cos(\pi (y^2)/(2*D \lambda) $$
Shouldn't the cosine function be squared on the right-hand side?

Otherwise, your work looks correct to me. In particular, I think the factor of 2 in the denominator of the argument of the cosine function is correct.
Herculi said:
THe problem is that the solutions is ##I_o cos(\pi (y^2)/(D \lambda)) ## And i have no idea where is my mistake.
Did they have a square on the cosine function? If not, it is clearly wrong since the intensity cannot ever be negative.

Likes LCSphysicist
TSny said:
Shouldn't the cosine function be squared on the right-hand side?

Otherwise, your work looks correct to me. In particular, I think the factor of 2 in the denominator of the argument of the cosine function is correct.

Did they have a square on the cosine function? If not, it is clearly wrong since the intensity cannot ever be negative.
Yes, i forgot the square in both answer. Thank you, so aparenttly the answer given by the book is wrong in fact.

Herculi said:
Thank you, so aparenttly the answer given by the book is wrong in fact.
It appears that way to me. Maybe someone else will confirm it.

What is the meaning of intensity in the context of interference between two propagating waves?

Intensity refers to the amount of energy per unit time that is passing through a given area. In the context of interference between two propagating waves, it represents the overall brightness or loudness of the resulting wave pattern.

How is the intensity affected by the distance between the two waves?

The intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two waves. As the distance increases, the intensity decreases, resulting in a less bright or less loud interference pattern.

What happens to the intensity when the two waves are in phase?

When the two waves are in phase, meaning their crests and troughs align, the intensity will be at its maximum. This is because the waves are reinforcing each other, resulting in a stronger overall wave pattern.

What is the relationship between the intensity and the amplitude of the individual waves?

The intensity is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the individual waves. This means that as the amplitude of the waves increases, the intensity also increases, resulting in a brighter or louder interference pattern.

Can the intensity be negative in interference between two propagating waves?

No, the intensity cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the amount of energy passing through a given area. If the waves are completely out of phase, the intensity may be zero, but it cannot be negative.