Calculating Magnetic Field & Thermal Energy in a Mass Spectrometer

In summary, the magnetic field in the separator is 1.00 mT. The current of the desired ions is 100 mg/hr and the thermal energy produced in the cup in 1.00 h is 100 J.
claire1
A mass spectrometer is used to separate uranium ions of mass 3.92e-25 kg and charge 3.2e-19 C from related species. The ions are accelerated through a potential difference of 100 kV and then pass into a uniform magnetic field, where they are bent in a path of radius 1.00 m. After traveling through 180 degrees and passing through a slit of width 1.00 mm and height 1.00 cm, they are collected in a cup. a) What is the magnitude of the (perpendicular) magnetic field in the separator? If the machine is used to separate out 100 mg of material per hour, calculate b) the current of the desired ions in the machine and c) the thermal energy produced in the cup in 1.00 h.

I understand how to solve part a and part b, but I am confused about how to find the thermal energy produced in the cup (part c). I know that I will have to somehow convert to joules for thermal energy, but I can't figure out where to start.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You just focus on your units and do dimensional analysis. Start 100 mg/hr, then convert to kilograms, multiply by an hour, multiply by the 3.2e19c/3.92e-25kg, and then finish up with multiplying by 1e5J/1c and your final answer should be in Joules! Cancel your units and double check.

claire said:
A mass spectrometer is used to separate uranium ions of mass 3.92e-25 kg and charge 3.2e-19 C from related species. The ions are accelerated through a potential difference of 100 kV and then pass into a uniform magnetic field, where they are bent in a path of radius 1.00 m. After traveling through 180 degrees and passing through a slit of width 1.00 mm and height 1.00 cm, they are collected in a cup. a) What is the magnitude of the (perpendicular) magnetic field in the separator? If the machine is used to separate out 100 mg of material per hour, calculate b) the current of the desired ions in the machine and c) the thermal energy produced in the cup in 1.00 h.

I understand how to solve part a and part b, but I am confused about how to find the thermal energy produced in the cup (part c). I know that I will have to somehow convert to joules for thermal energy, but I can't figure out where to start.

Hi claire! Welcome to MHB! :)

I take it you have calculated the speed of the ions in part (a)?

That means you can also calculate the kinetic energy of 100 mg worth of ions.
This kinetic energy is converted to thermal energy without loss.

Alternatively, you can calculate the electric energy transferred by 100 kV voltage difference to 100 mg worth of ions. This energy will ultimately be converted to thermal energy.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field & Thermal Energy in a Mass Spectrometer

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge. It is characterized by its direction and strength, and is responsible for the interactions between magnets and electrically charged particles.

How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as the flow of electricity in a wire or the movement of electrons in an atom. It can also be created by permanent magnets with a north and south pole.

What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, while an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, a magnetic field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both direction and magnitude, while an electric field is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

How can a magnetic field be measured?

A magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field and is commonly used in geology, archaeology, and physics research.

What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of real-world applications, including data storage in computer hard drives, medical imaging in MRI machines, and power generation in electric motors and generators. They are also used in compasses for navigation and in speakers for sound production.