1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particles in a Magnetic Field Question

1. Mar 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A beam of doubly ionized particles (i.e., twice the elementary charge) is accelerated across a potential difference of 2000 V in a mass spectrometer. They are then passed perpendicularly through a magnetic field of 0.085 T resulting in a radius of curvature 12.5 cm. Calculate the mass of the unknown ion.

2. Relevant equations
    Fc= mv2/r
    Fm= qvB
    ΔV=ΔE/q

3. The attempt at a solution
    We are supposed to derive a formula for q/m without velocity. I think the solution probably involves the centripetal force being equal to something but I'm not sure what. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In your third relevant equation, where does the ΔE end up?

4. Mar 14, 2017 #3
    ΔE is the change in potential energy experienced by the particle. I could find that, but I'm not sure what I would do from there.

5. Mar 14, 2017 #4

gneill

How is the change in energy expressed by the particle?

6. Mar 14, 2017 #5
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean! To be honest I'm not even sure if I need that equation.

7. Mar 14, 2017 #6

gneill

Oh, you definitely need it :smile:

What happens to a charged particle when it "falls" through a potential difference? What about the particle changes?

8. Mar 14, 2017 #7
    Haha ok good! I guess it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy, would that ΔE be equal to 1/2mv2?

9. Mar 14, 2017 #8

gneill

Why, yes it would! :smile:

10. Mar 14, 2017 #9
    Perfect! Ok, so I can say that ΔE= 6.4x10-16 J which would also equal 1/2mv2. After that I'm still not sure what to do!

11. Mar 14, 2017 #10

gneill

You now have an expression involving m and v. What's another relationship that involves m and v once the particle enters the magnetic field?

12. Mar 15, 2017 #11
    Fc= mv2/r ?

13. Mar 15, 2017 #12

gneill

Try it.

14. Mar 15, 2017 #13
    OH!! So I can say Vq= 1/2mv2 and mv2/r= qvB... So I solved for v on both sides and got v=qBr/m and v=√2Vq/m and then combine those, solve for q/m and so q/m=2V/B2r2! I plugged in the numbers and got the right answer, 9.0x10-27 kg. Thank you so much for your help, glad I finally got it :)

15. Mar 15, 2017 #14

gneill

Well done! Glad I could help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted