Calculating Max Height of Water Squirted from Garden Hose

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
narutoish
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A nozzle with a radius of 0.250 cm is attached to a garden hose with a radius of 0.800 cm. The velocity of the water in the hose is 2.80 m/s and the velocity of the water in the nozzle is 28.7 m/s.s

(a) Calculate the maximum height to which water could be squirted if it emerges from the nozzle.

(b) Calculate the maximum height to which water could be squirted if it emerges with the nozzle removed, assuming the same flow rate.




Homework Equations



I might be missing something but don't I only have to use the projectile motion equation and solve for the delta y?

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using the projectile motion equation but I don't get the right answer, and I don't know how to make use of the radius information.

The answers are supposed to be a) 42m and b) .4m I just need to know how it's solved
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Those answers can indeed be obtained with just the projectile motion equations. If you cannot obtain them, you must be making a mistake somewhere. Show your work.