Calculating Mine Proposal: Silver, Copper, and Gangue Production and Profits

• MHB
  • Thread starter Scott29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the task is to plan a new mine proposal and you need help with two questions: how much silver, copper, and gangue will be produced, and how much money will be made from silver, copper, and the total. The given information includes 2.5kg of copper and 0.5g of silver produced per tonne of ore, with 850,000,000 tonnes of ore in total. Producing 1 tonne of copper will also produce 98 tonnes of gangue. The main difficulty is understanding "per" and getting consistent answers. The prices are $4.04 per pound, so a pound to kilogram/tonne calculator is needed.
Scott29
I'm in year 8 and have a maths question for science. I have been given some information to go off.

We have a task where we have to 'plan' a new mine proposal. I am doing accounting. I need help with 2 questions.

- How much silver, copper, and gangue will be produced
- How much money will we make (silver, copper, and the total)

There is 2.5kg of copper per tonne of ore, and 850,000,000 tonnes or ore. There is also .5g of silver per tonne, and producing 1 tonne of copper will produce 98 tonnes of gangue.

The main thing i am stuck on is the 'per'. Does that mean times or divide. No matter who i ask i keep getting different answers. I thinks its times. Also, i have figured it out about 8 times, and got about 5 different answers because i keep thinking, "maybe this is how your supposed to do it".

To get the prices, it is $4.04 per pound. You will need a pound to kilogram/tonne calculator seeing as i live in a country that doesn't use pounds.

Thanks heaps, I know its a lot but I'm so stuck and this is my one job so i don't want to stuff it up.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Scott29 said:
I'm in year 8 and have a maths question for science. I have been given some information to go off.

We have a task where we have to 'plan' a new mine proposal. I am doing accounting. I need help with 2 questions.

- How much silver, copper, and gangue will be produced
- How much money will we make (silver, copper, and the total)

There is 2.5kg of copper per tonne of ore, and 850,000,000 tonnes or ore. There is also .5g of silver per tonne, and producing 1 tonne of copper will produce 98 tonnes of gangue.

The main thing i am stuck on is the 'per'. Does that mean times or divide. No matter who i ask i keep getting different answers. I thinks its times. Also, i have figured it out about 8 times, and got about 5 different answers because i keep thinking, "maybe this is how your supposed to do it".

To get the prices, it is $4.04 per pound. You will need a pound to kilogram/tonne calculator seeing as i live in a country that doesn't use pounds.

Thanks heaps, I know its a lot but I'm so stuck and this is my one job so i don't want to stuff it up.
Hi Scott29,

"per" means that each tonne of ore produces 2.5kg of copper and 0.5g of silver. To get the total amount of copper (in kg) and silver (in grams), you have to multiply these figures by the number of tonnes of ore.

One pound (lb.) is 0.453592 kg.

Does this answer your question ? Pleas feel free to write back if you need further help.

1. How do I solve a complex calculation?

To solve a complex calculation, you will need to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Make sure to clearly define your variables and use the correct formula or equation for each step. Double-check your work and use a calculator if needed.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a calculation?

If you get stuck on a calculation, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also ask a friend, classmate, or teacher for help. Sometimes, simply talking through the problem can help you find a solution.

3. How can I check if my calculation is correct?

You can check your calculation by plugging in the numbers into a calculator or using a different method to solve the problem. You can also compare your answer with a known solution or check your work step by step to identify any mistakes.

4. What should I do if I get a different answer than the expected result?

If you get a different answer than the expected result, double-check your calculation and make sure you used the correct formula or equation. If you still can't figure out the error, ask for help from a teacher or tutor to identify and correct any mistakes.

5. Are there any tips for making calculations easier?

Yes, there are several tips for making calculations easier. First, make sure to clearly define your variables and units. You can also break down the problem into smaller steps and use a calculator for more complex calculations. Practice and repetition can also improve your calculation skills.