Calculating Moles of Pain Killer/H+ with Titration

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rowkem
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moles Pain Titration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
rowkem
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration:

NaOH was added to a pain killer solution

m[pain killer]=0.40g dissolved in 50 mL of distilled water
[NaOH]= 0.15 mol/L
v(NaOH)= 0.0036 L

Homework Equations



C1V1=C2V2

The Attempt at a Solution



I calculated the moles of pain killer by assuming that the moles of NaOH used would be equal to the moles of pain killer used since it's a 1-1 mole ratio. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I don't know if that would help me.

It's really the moles of hydrogen ion that I can't get. I thought that the moles of H+ would be equal to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution which would mean that the moles of hydrogen would be equal to the moles of NaOH (since it's a strong base) but, that would mean that the moles of pain killer=moles of hydrogen ion in the pain killer which wouldn't make sense to me.

All that said, I could really use some guidance on this as to what I've don't correctly and where I went wrong, as well as where to go from here. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to distinguish between the tablet-or-capsule and the active monoprotic acid ingredient(the componant which you titrated). You are only titrating the ACID in the sample; the target acid is only a fraction of the entire sample.
 
rowkem said:

Homework Statement



Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration:

NaOH was added to a pain killer solution

m[pain killer]=0.40g dissolved in 50 mL of distilled water
[NaOH]= 0.15 mol/L
v(NaOH)= 0.0036 L

Homework Equations



C1V1=C2V2

The Attempt at a Solution



I calculated the moles of pain killer by assuming that the moles of NaOH used would be equal to the moles of pain killer used since it's a 1-1 mole ratio. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I don't know if that would help me.

It's really the moles of hydrogen ion that I can't get. I thought that the moles of H+ would be equal to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution which would mean that the moles of hydrogen would be equal to the moles of NaOH (since it's a strong base) but, that would mean that the moles of pain killer=moles of hydrogen ion in the pain killer which wouldn't make sense to me.

That's the answer. Why doesn't that make sense to you? The painkiller is a monoprotic acid, yes?

here it is again in the statement of your problem...
...calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration...