Calculating Moles of Vitamin C in Redox Titration

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mitchtwitchita
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Determination
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
Mitchtwitchita
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Determination of Vitamin C

I'm a little stuck on getting started on the calculations of a recent redox titration lab that I did, and was wondering if anybody could help me out.

First I dissolved a 250 mg tablet of vitamin c in 50 mL distilled water.

Then, I prepared a buret with 0.002034M KIO3 solution

Next, I pipetted 5.00 mL of the vitamin c solution into a flask and added 5 mL of 0.6M KI solution, 5 mL of 1M HCl, 1 mL startch indicator solution.

The endpoint was reached after 11.27 mL of KIO3 was titrated into solution.

The question that I'm having trouble with is: From the volume of titrant added, calculate the moles of vitamin C for each titration.

I know the molarity of KIO3 is 0.002034 mol/L.

Therefore, M=n/v

n=2.2923 x 10^-5

Would this also be the amount of moles of vitamin c? Or am I way off base? Can anybody please lead me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to balance the redox equation for IO3- + I- ---> I2

and how does the vitamin C reaction with these chemicals?
 
Thanks for the reply eli. Yeah, I just noticed the two reaction equations hidden in the lab manual just after I posted.