Calculating Momentum and Velocity in a Head-On Car Collision

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Jimbo113453
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
When a car of mass 2.0 × 10³ kg moving at 9.0 m/s collides head on with a second car having a mass of 1.5 × 10³ kg, the cars lock and come to rest at the point of collision. (a) What was the momentum of the second car before the collision? (b) What was the velocity of the second car before collision?

I think this means that F of the first car equals F of the second car. So solve for F of the first car with F = ma. What's the acceleration though? :s Once I get that, equal it to (acceleration of second car)(1.5 × 10³). I can solve for the velocity of the second car somehow I think. Then I could get momentum with p = mv.

Excuse my ignorance. Physics is not my cup of tea. =(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
u don't need to use F in this problem at all. its all about momentum.
yes u can solve for the velocity of the second car using conservation of momentum:
Pi = Pf
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1fv1f + m2fv2f
since they come to rest after collision the final momentum is 0.
so m1v1 = -m2v2

i think u can solve it from now.
 
m1v1 = m2v2
(2000 kg)(9.0 m/s) = -(1500 kg)(v2f)
v2 = -12 m/s

mv = p
(1500 kg)(12 m/s) = 1.8 × 10^4 kg×m/s
 
Last edited:
i won't check it with a calculator, but i see u got the point. :)