Calculating Momentum Eigenstates of Spin in the Y Direction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
PsiPhi
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Starting with [tex]\sigma_{y}[/tex], calculate the momentum eigenstates of spin in the y direction.
[tex]\sigma_{y} = \left[\stackrel{0}{i} \stackrel{-i}{0}\right][/tex] (Pauli spin matrix in the y direction)
[tex]S_{y} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\sigma_{y}[/tex] (spin angular momentum operator for the y direction)

Homework Equations



[tex]A\left|\psi\right\rangle = a\left|\psi\right\rangle[/tex] where A is some linear operator and a is the corresponding eigenvalue

The Attempt at a Solution



The solution I tried was determining the eigenvalues for the matrix, [tex]det (A - \lambda I) = 0[/tex], where [tex]A \equiv S_{y}[/tex], [tex]\lambda[/tex]
are the eigenvalues and I is the 2x2 identity matrix.

After working through the determinant expression, I obtain eigenvalues of [tex]\lambda = \pm \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]

Then for momentum eigenstates, since the eigenstates aren't given I just used an arbitrary eigenstate, defined as [tex]\left|\psi\right\rangle[/tex]

Therefore, the momentum eigenstates I obtain are just

[tex]S_{y}\left|\psi\right\rangle = \pm \frac{\hbar}{2} \left|\psi\right\rangle[/tex]

I'm just wondering if my logic is correct as I step through my calculations. First I tried operator the spin angular momentum (y-direction) operator in the known matrices for spin-up, spin-down states. But, I realized that these were states in the z-direction. So, for momentum eigenstates in the y-direction the only way I could think of was the eigenvalue equation method.

Thanks.

p.s. Does anyone know how to write matrices in latex? Sorry, about my dodgy matrix up above for sigma y
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"momentum eigenstates" doesn't make sense. I think what they want is just for you to find the eigenstates of [tex]S_y[/tex]. Solve the following matrix equation (matrices are a pain in tex, so I didn't write the matrices explicitly--I used I for the 2x2 unit matrix)
[tex] (S_y - \frac{\hbar}{2}I) \vec v = 0[/tex]
for v_1 in terms of v_2 (you only get one independent equation from the above matrix equation) and then also use the fact that v should be normalized. This gives you the eigenstate of S_y with eigenvalue +hbar/2.

Then solve
[tex] (S_y + \frac{\hbar}{2}I) \vec u =0[/tex]
for u_1 in terms of u_2 and normalize to get the other eigenstate.
 
For the eigenvalue [tex]\lambda = + \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex],

I get two simulatenous equations:
[tex]-v_{1} + iv_{2} = 0[/tex] ... (1)
[tex]iv_{1} - v_{2} = 0[/tex] ... (2)

Solving (1) for [tex]v_{1}[/tex] in terms of [tex]v_2[/tex]:
[tex]-v_{1} = iv_{2}[/tex]
[tex]v_{1} = -iv_{2}[/tex]

Therefore, looking at the comparison of [tex]v_{1}[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex], the eigenvector for [tex]\lambda = + \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex] is [tex]\left[\stackrel{1}{-i}\right][/tex]

And for the negative eigenvalue it should follow the same logic, haven't determined it yet though.

Is this correct, for the positive eigenvalue?
 
PsiPhi said:
For the eigenvalue [tex]\lambda = + \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex],

I get two simulatenous equations:
[tex]-v_{1} + iv_{2} = 0[/tex] ... (1)
[tex]iv_{1} - v_{2} = 0[/tex] ... (2)

Solving (1) for [tex]v_{1}[/tex] in terms of [tex]v_2[/tex]:
[tex]-v_{1} = iv_{2}[/tex]
[tex]v_{1} = -iv_{2}[/tex]

Therefore, looking at the comparison of [tex]v_{1}[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex], the eigenvector for [tex]\lambda = + \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex] is
[tex]\left[\stackrel{1}{-i}\right][/tex]
Nope, you made a little mistake; if you look at the above [tex]\vec v[/tex]you will see that [tex]v_2 = -i[/tex], so that [tex]iv_2 = 1 = v_1[/tex] which is not what your equations say.

But don't fear, the above vector is actually still an eigenvector, it's the eigenvector with eigenvalue -\hbar/2 as you can easily check by acting on it with the matrix [tex]S_y[/tex].
 
Ah yes, you are correct. The eigenvector I did before was for [tex]-\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]. But a weird thing happens, if i solve v_2 in terms of v_1 you will get a different eigenvector. However, I finally realized they differ by a multiplicative constant of i.

Thanks for the help, olgranpappy.