Pauli Spin Matrices - Lowering Operator - Eigenstates

In summary: No, the constant 2 in ##\sigma_- |+\rangle = 2 |-\rangle## is not the eigenvalue - it should be obvious that this equation is not an eigenvalue equation. What ##\sigma_-## does is that it changes the eigenstate of ##\sigma_z## to another eigenstate whose eigenvalue is one unit smaller...
ChrisJ
This is not part of my coursework but a question from a past paper (that we don't have solutions to).

1. Homework Statement

Construct the matrix ##\sigma_{-} = \sigma_{x} - i\sigma_{y}## and show that the states resulting from ##\sigma_{-}## acting on the eigenstates of ##\sigma_{z} ## are also eigenstates of ##\sigma_{z} ## and comment on your result.

Homework Equations

pauli spin matrices

The Attempt at a Solution

I need more help with the commenting on the result and the actual physics rather than the maths here,

I constructed the matrix ##\sigma_{-} =
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 0 \\
2 & 0 \end{array}
\right)
##

and in previous bit of question found the eigenstates of ##\sigma_{z}## to be ##
1 \\
0 \end{array}\right) ## and ##
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 \\
1 \end{array}\right)## respectively.

So therefore ##\sigma_{-}
1 \\
0 \end{array}\right)
=2
0 \\
1 \end{array}\right)##

and also ##\sigma_{-}
0 \\
1 \end{array}\right) =
0 \\
0 \end{array}\right)##

I am pretty sure the math is correct as I ran the math past a few people who agreed but I can't see how/why that that shows they are also eigenstates of ##\sigma_{z}##. I can maybe see it mathematically with the first result, as that is explicitly an eigenstate, but the zero matrix result, I am not sure how in words I can say that it is. And what it means physically. As I said this isn't part of any coursework, just a question from a past exam paper, any help/advice is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
An eigenvector is defined to be a non-zero vector, so the statement that the resulting vector is an eigenstate of ##\sigma_z## as mentioned in the question shall only apply to cases when the resulting vector is non-zero.
As for the comment, I think it asks you about how ##\sigma_-## changes the eigenvector of ##\sigma_z##, for example how the eigenvalue changes.

Likes ChrisJ
blue_leaf77 said:
An eigenvector is defined to be a non-zero vector, so the statement that the resulting vector is an eigenstate of ##\sigma_z## as mentioned in the question shall only apply to cases when the resulting vector is non-zero.
As for the comment, I think it asks you about how ##\sigma_-## changes the eigenvector of ##\sigma_z##, for example how the eigenvalue changes.
Ah ok, that zero vector/matrix was throwing me. Ok so its just as simple as saying that it lowers the eigenvalue by one? A previous part of the question was to find the eigenvalue of ##\sigma_z## and was found to be 3 and 3.

ChrisJ said:
Ah ok, that zero matrix was throwing me. Ok so its just as simple as saying that it lowers the eigenvalue by one? A previous part of the question was to find the eigenvalue of ##\sigma_z## and was found to be 3 and 3.
At least that's the most notable property of ##\sigma_-##.

Likes ChrisJ
ChrisJ said:
Ah ok, that zero vector/matrix was throwing me. Ok so its just as simple as saying that it lowers the eigenvalue by one? A previous part of the question was to find the eigenvalue of ##\sigma_z## and was found to be 3 and 3.
3 and 3?

vela said:
3 and 3?

Sorry, worded that wrong. Meant to say that I found the eigenvalues of the two eigenstates to be 3 and 3.

That's what I thought you meant, but you should have found them to be 1 and -1.

Likes ChrisJ
ChrisJ said:
was found to be 3 and 3.
Not sure why I missed that, but that's clearly not true.

Likes ChrisJ
vela said:
That's what I thought you meant, but you should have found them to be 1 and -1.
blue_leaf77 said:
Not sure why I missed that, but that's clearly not true.

My bad! I did the previous bit of the question a couple weeks ago, sorry my fault. It seems the 3 and 3 I had in my head was not about that, it was to find the eigenvalues of ##\sigma^2=\sigma_x^2+\sigma_y^2+\sigma_z^2 ## Sorry for the confusion. I just remembered in my head that I found eigenvalues and they were 3, so when I went back to do the rest of the multiple part question, I had those 3's in my head.

But now that you pointed out the mix up. My original question about commenting on the result ##\sigma_{-}## acting on ##\sigma_z##? as when the lowering operator acts on ##\sigma_z## it results in an eigenstate of ##\sigma_z## but with an eigenvalue of 2, but its original eigenvalues were 1 and -1?

ChrisJ said:
But now that you pointed out the mix up. My original question about commenting on the result ##\sigma_{-}## acting on ##\sigma_z##? as when the lowering operator acts on ##\sigma_z## it results in an eigenstate of ##\sigma_z## but with an eigenvalue of 2, but its original eigenvalues were 1 and -1?
No, the constant 2 in ##\sigma_- |+\rangle = 2 |-\rangle## is not the eigenvalue - it should be obvious that this equation is not an eigenvalue equation. What ##\sigma_-## does is that it changes the eigenstate of ##\sigma_z## to another eigenstate whose eigenvalue is one unit smaller than that of the initial eigenstate. Lowering operator, for more general angular momentum operator, obeys the condition ##L_z L_- |n\rangle = (n-1)\hbar L_- |n\rangle## where ##|n\rangle## is an eigenstate of ##L_z##.

Likes ChrisJ

1. What are Pauli Spin Matrices?

Pauli Spin Matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices used to represent the spin of a particle. They were developed by physicist Wolfgang Pauli and are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin states of particles.

2. What is the Lowering Operator in relation to Pauli Spin Matrices?

The Lowering Operator is a mathematical operation that is used to lower or decrease the spin of a particle by one unit. In the context of Pauli Spin Matrices, the Lowering Operator is used to calculate the spin states of particles in a given system.

3. What are Eigenstates in the context of Pauli Spin Matrices?

Eigenstates, also known as eigenvectors, are special states of a particle's spin that do not change when acted upon by the Pauli Spin Matrices. In other words, the eigenstates are the spin states that correspond to the eigenvalues of the Pauli Spin Matrices.

4. How are Pauli Spin Matrices used in quantum mechanics?

Pauli Spin Matrices are used in quantum mechanics to calculate the possible spin states of particles in a given system. They are also used to represent the spin operators in the Hamiltonian, which is the mathematical expression for the total energy of a particle.

5. Can Pauli Spin Matrices be applied to all particles?

No, Pauli Spin Matrices can only be applied to particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. Particles with integer spin, such as photons, do not have spin states and therefore cannot be described using Pauli Spin Matrices.