Calculating momentum when you know mass and KE

In summary, the momentum of an object with a mass of 8 kg and a kinetic energy of 70 J can be calculated by first using the equation KE=mv^2/2 to determine the object's velocity, and then using the equation P=mv to calculate its momentum. The correct calculations for this problem would result in a momentum of 33 kg*m/s.
connie5828

Homework Statement

Calculate the momentum of an object of mass 8 kg if its kinetic energy is 70 J

Homework Equations

I am not sure what the equation is. Every one I have tried hasn't worked

The Attempt at a Solution

KE=MV squared?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy is not equal to mv2.

Write down the definitions of kinetic energy and momentum. (You do know them, right?) Then combine them by solving for the variable you don't know.

Hello connie5828,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
connie5828 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the momentum of an object of mass 8 kg if its kinetic energy is 70 J

Homework Equations

I am not sure what the equation is. Every one I have tried hasn't worked
Well, you know the object's kinetic energy and mass, so what does that say about the object's velocity? If you happen to figure out the object's velocity, and since you know its mass, then its momentum is ...?

You'll frequently find that physics is usually not about simply plugging in numbers into an existing equation (although that does happen sometimes). Much of the time you'll find that multiple laws/equations are necessary to be combined to figure out a specific problem. Which is why it's a good idea to reflect upon the equations to figure out what those equations really mean, and how they apply to various problems.

The Attempt at a Solution

KE=MV squared?
Close, but not quite right. You'll need the correct equation for kinetic energy (it's almost what you wrote above, but not quite), and another equation which describes momentum.

[Edit: I see diazona beat me to the answer.]

looks like my first reply may not have posted. thanks for your help. Please correct what I am not understanding

KE=MV2/2
so equation would be 70=82/2
70=64/2 (is this correct??)
70/32=2.188
P=MV
P=8*2.188

the problem is I am using the practice equation to try to figure this out and it says the answer is 33. My calculations are definitely off somewhere. Please help.

Hi Connie, you've got the definitions right now, but you squared the wrong thing. KE is mv2/2 = 8v2/2, but you wrote 82/2 = m2/2.

Start with the equation 70 = mv2/2. Substitute for the mass: 70 = 8v2/2. Then solve for v. That means keep doing the same thing (multiply or divide by the same numbers) to each side of the equation till you have it in the form v2 = some number. Then take the square root of each side, so you have v = the square root of that number.

Then go to your other equation, momentum = mv, and replace the v with what you found v was equal to.

Last edited:
totally got it. THANK YOU! Taking anatomy and Physics and anatomy I rock at Physic I learning with the help of people who have amazing science brains. Thanks!

1. How do you calculate momentum when you know mass and kinetic energy?

To calculate momentum when you know mass and kinetic energy, you can use the formula p = √(2mKE), where p is momentum, m is mass, and KE is kinetic energy.

2. Why is it important to calculate momentum?

Calculating momentum is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how they interact with each other. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various applications such as predicting collisions and designing machines.

3. Can you calculate momentum without knowing the mass or kinetic energy?

No, momentum cannot be calculated without knowing either the mass or the kinetic energy of an object. These two variables are essential in determining the momentum of an object.

4. How is momentum related to velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to velocity. This means that as velocity increases, momentum also increases. The equation for this relationship is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. What is the unit of measurement for momentum?

The unit of measurement for momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg·m/s). This unit is derived from the formula for momentum, p = mv, where mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and velocity in meters per second (m/s).