About linear and angular momentum

In summary, the problem asks if linear and angular momentum are conserved. The answer is that linear momentum is not conserved, but angular momentum is conserved.
Apashanka

Homework Statement

IMG_20190124_213042.jpg

Homework Equations

For this problem I got the angular momentum conservation equations,
mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)+Ml2ω
and momentum conservation equation as
mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)
m=colliding mass,v and v' velocity before and after collision.
M=mass of the rod.
2l=length of the rod.
h=vertical distance from the centre of the rod to colliding mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

So if linear momentum is conserved ,angular momentum will not be conserved here.
But if linear momentum is conserved ,angular momentum has to be conserved(since just moment of linear momentum)
So in this case linear momentum will not be conserved ,is it??

Attachments

• IMG_20190124_213042.jpg
    IMG_20190124_213042.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 711
Physics news on Phys.org
Apashanka said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 237754

Homework Equations

mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)+Ml2ω
mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)
m=colliding mass,v and v' velocity before and after collision.
M=mass of the rod.
2l=length of the rod.
h=vertical distance from the centre of the rod to colliding mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

So if linear momentum is conserved ,angular momentum will not be conserved here.
But if linear momentum is conserved ,angular momentum has to be conserved(since just moment of linear momentum)
Please list the statements that may or may not be true as given by the problem.

Apashanka said:
My question is just this??

kuruman said:
Please list the statements that may or may not be true as given by the problem.
The statements are
IMG_20190124_214942.jpg

IMG_20190124_214955.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190124_214955.jpg
    IMG_20190124_214955.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20190124_214942.jpg
    IMG_20190124_214942.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 305
Apashanka said:
Non-conservation of angular momentum is not necessarily a result of linear momentum conservation. What must be true for (a) linear momentum to be conserved regardless of whether angular momentum is or is not conserved and (b) angular momentum to be conserved regardless of whether linear momentum is or is not conserved?

Apashanka said:
mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)+Ml2ω
mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)
So will I be able to say that linear momentum is conserved and angular momentum doesn't??

Apashanka said:
So will I be able to say that linear momentum is conserved and angular momentum doesn't??
On what do you base this conclusion? As I asked in #5,
kuruman said:
What must be true for (a) linear momentum to be conserved regardless of whether angular momentum is or is not conserved and (b) angular momentum to be conserved regardless of whether linear momentum is or is not conserved?
Answer these questions first and then determine what is or is not true in this particular case.

kuruman said:
On what do you base this conclusion? As I asked in #5,
From the conservation equations
Apashanka said:
mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)+Ml2ω
and linear momentum conservation equation as
mv(l+h)=mv'(l+h)
Will you please help as I have got these conservation equations.
which one is conserved and which is not.,as I find one's conservation leads to another

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
From the conservation equations

Will you please help as I have got these conservation equations.
which one is conserved and which is not.,as I find one's conservation leads to another

I am trying to help you but I will not give you the answer. I am helping you by asking questions the answers to which will lead you to the answer you are seeking. So far you have not answered the questions I asked in #5 and #7. So I will ask you for a third time, under what conditionsare linear and angular momentum conserved? Please find the answers, let me know and we will take it from there.

Also your logic is fatally flawed and it seems that you don't see that. The problem asks whether linear and/or angular momentum are conserved. You cannot write down conservation equations for these quantities unless you first ascertain that these quantities are indeed conserved. Writing the equations down does not make it so. Besides, your equations are incorrectly written, but you don't need to worry about that because this is a conceptual question that requires no equations to get the answer(s).

kuruman said:
under what conditionsare linear and angular momentum conserved?
If Fexternal=0,p=constt. Of time
If τ(torque)0,L=constt of time.

Apashanka said:
If Fexternal=0,p=constt. Of time
If τ(torque)0,L=constt of time.
Very good. So now you need to answer the following two questions
(a) Is there a net force acting on the system? If yes, linear momentum is not conserved.
(b) Is there a net torque about the pivot acting on the system? If yes angular momentum is not conserved.
Once you have sorted out what is and what is not conserved, you can go back and figure out which of the four statements are NOT true.

kuruman said:
(a) Is there a net force acting on the system? If yes, linear momentum is not conserved.
No external force is acting ,p is conserved.
No torque is acting as no external force is acting .
So both p and L are conserved.

Apashanka said:
No external force is acting ,p is conserved.
Why not? Is gravity not an external force? Is the system hanging in mid air? Read the problem.
Apashanka said:
No torque is acting as no external force is acting .
You can have a net torque without having a net force. When you turn on an electric drill, there is a net torque that changes the angular momentum of the drill bit but the net force is sero because the center of mass of the drill does not accelerate.

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line. It is equal to the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is linear momentum conserved?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is equal to the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

4. How is angular momentum related to linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are related through the conservation of momentum. When an object's linear momentum changes, its angular momentum also changes, and vice versa.

5. How is angular momentum conserved?

Just like with linear momentum, angular momentum is conserved unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system.