Calculating Net Forces on Charged Particles in a Line

In summary, the problem involves calculating the net force on three particles with charges +62 µC, +45 µC, and -80 µC that are placed in a line. The center particle is 0.35 m away from each of the others. The calculation for the force between Q1 and Q2 is shown, but there is confusion about which force value applies to which particle. The correct answer is 114 N for the force on Q1.
metalmagik
Particles of charge Q1 = +62 µC, Q2 = +45 µC, and Q3 = -80 µC are placed in a line (Fig. 16-37). The center one is 0.35 m from each of the others. Calculate the net force on each charge due to the other two.

16-37alt.gif

I have found the forces between Q1 - Q2, Q2 - Q3, and Q1 - Q3.

Here is my work for Q1 - Q2:

[tex]F = kq1q2/r^2

F = (8.99e9)(62e6)(45e6)/(.35)^2

F = 2.05e26 N

[/tex]

I entered this Force value in for Q1

Force on Q1:
Magnitude
_______ N
Direction
right
up
left
down

and it marked me wrong, though I got the direction right. Am I not using the right force for Q1 or something? I am quite confused with this, any help would be very appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I realized I used µ wrong, and that it is [tex]10^-6[/tex] but I am still getting the wrong answer. I am veryy lost and confused. Maybe I should try doing this tomorrow instead of at 1 AM. but any help is appreciated.

I am bumping this so someone can pelaseee help me with this question. I am unsure of which force value applies to which particle...for Q1 it says the force is 114 N. I got like...208 N for the Force between Q1 and Q2. Please someone help!

Related to Calculating Net Forces on Charged Particles in a Line

1. What is electrostatics and why is it important?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and their interactions. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrically charged objects and how they can be manipulated for practical applications.

2. What is an electrostatics problem and how do you solve it?

An electrostatics problem is a question or scenario that involves the application of electrostatics principles and equations to solve for unknown quantities. To solve an electrostatics problem, you must first identify the known quantities, determine the appropriate equations to use, and then solve for the unknown quantity using algebraic manipulation.

3. What is Coulomb's law and how is it used in electrostatics problems?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It is used in electrostatics problems to calculate the force between two charged objects.

4. Can you have a negative charge in an electrostatics problem?

Yes, a negative charge can exist in an electrostatics problem. The charge itself does not affect the principles and equations used in electrostatics, but it does affect the direction of the force between charged objects.

5. What is the difference between conductors and insulators in electrostatics?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to move easily. In electrostatics, conductors and insulators can have different effects on the distribution of charges and the strength of electric fields.