Calculating Normal and Frictional Forces on a Parked Car on an Inclined Road

  • Thread starter Thread starter luap12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces Normal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
luap12
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
1. A car (m = 1940 kg) is parked on a road that rises 14.4 ° above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of (a) the normal force and (b) the static frictional force that the ground exerts on the tires?



Homework Equations





3. I am not sure what I need to do here. Wouldn't the normal force just be the mass times gravity? Not sure what equations I should be using or how I should be incorporating the angle.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
luap12 said:
1. A car (m = 1940 kg) is parked on a road that rises 14.4 ° above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of (a) the normal force and (b) the static frictional force that the ground exerts on the tires?



Homework Equations





3. I am not sure what I need to do here. Wouldn't the normal force just be the mass times gravity? Not sure what equations I should be using or how I should be incorporating the angle.

The normal force is the force exerted perpendicularly from the road on the car. You have to split the force of weight into one force that is pulling the object down the road at 14.4 degrees and one force perpendicular to the road. This image from SparkNotes could help you visualize the forces.
normal.gif