Calculating Odds of Royal Flush in Poker - Excel

• Thread starter c1gipe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about using excel to calculate the probability of poker events, specifically getting a royal flush. The odds are calculated using a formula and can be expressed as a fraction or ratio. The number of hands needed to be played before seeing a royal flush is one.
c1gipe
im trying to figure out probability of poker events happening and using excel to help

4*C(5,2)/C(52,2)*C(47,2)/C(50,5) = 0.000015390

how can i change this decimal into a ratio like 10:1. this number is the odds of getting a royal flush so i want to know how many hands i need to play before seeing one

Mathematics news on Phys.org
c1gipe said:
im trying to figure out probability of poker events happening and using excel to help

4*C(5,2)/C(52,2)*C(47,2)/C(50,5) = 0.000015390

how can i change this decimal into a ratio like 10:1. this number is the odds of getting a royal flush so i want to know how many hands i need to play before seeing one

That'll be a fraction of 1, so .000015390 chances in 1.

1/.000015390 = 64977.26

Or 1 chance in 64977.26.

ah yes. all my schooling is coming back to me now. thank you

BTW remember, the number of hands you need to play to see a royal flush ... is one.

:biggrin:

very true sir
thank you for your help

1. What is the formula for calculating the odds of getting a royal flush in poker using Excel?

The formula for calculating the odds of getting a royal flush in poker using Excel is: =COMBIN(47,2)*4/COMBIN(52,5). This takes into account the total number of possible combinations of cards in a deck and multiplies it by the number of possible royal flush hands (4) and divides it by the total number of possible hands in a 5-card poker game (52). This will give you the probability of getting a royal flush in poker.

2. Can Excel calculate the odds of getting a royal flush in different poker variations?

Yes, Excel can calculate the odds of getting a royal flush in different poker variations. However, the formula may differ slightly depending on the specific rules of the game. For example, in some variations, the number of cards in the deck may be different, which would change the total number of possible combinations and therefore the formula for calculating the odds.

3. How accurate is using Excel to calculate the odds of getting a royal flush in poker?

Using Excel to calculate the odds of getting a royal flush in poker is highly accurate. As long as the correct formula and variables are used, the probability calculated by Excel will be very close to the actual odds. However, it is important to remember that the odds of getting a royal flush are still very low, so it may not happen as often as the calculated probability suggests.

4. Can Excel be used to calculate the odds of getting a royal flush in real-time during a poker game?

Yes, Excel can be used to calculate the odds of getting a royal flush in real-time during a poker game. However, this would require manual input of the cards that have already been dealt and may not be practical during a fast-paced game. There are also poker software programs available that can calculate odds in real-time and may be more suitable for this purpose.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating the odds of getting a royal flush in poker using Excel?

Yes, there are a few other factors that should be considered when calculating the odds of getting a royal flush in poker using Excel. These include the number of players in the game, the number of cards dealt, and the possibility of other players having certain cards that could affect the odds. These factors may require additional calculations to get a more accurate probability of getting a royal flush.