Calculating Peak Velocity of a Magnet Under Continuous Magnetic Force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Eggers
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Imagine you have a magnet (Henceforth named MagX) which weighs .03lbs, and it is being continuously pushed by another magnet's polar likes (Henceforth named MagY) with a force of 3 PSI. Is it possible to find the peak velocity of MagX, assuming that MagY stays at a constant distance of 0.5" away from MagX?

Friction is not factored in.
The dimensions of MagX are 2.0" x 0.5" x .125"

This isn't for "Homework", but it's relevant to a project which I cannot elaborate on.
I apologize if the question doesn't make sense or is too vague. I admit that I am no physics major and I honestly have no idea where to go from here.

Thank you for your time.
Wyatt
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know the force in psi, you can convert that into a force (in lbs) by multiplying by the area and then apply conservation of energy.

force*distance = change in kinetic energy of magX (assuming 0 initial KE)

Fd = ½mv2

v would give the velocity in some units which I am not sure of since I never really used those units.
 
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much for the help rock.freak!