Calculating Poisson ratio is a way to measure a material's response to stress.

  • Thread starter Thread starter buxZED
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Poisson Ratio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
buxZED
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


question

A ciclindrical metal specimen 10 mm in diameter is stressed elastically in tension. A force of 15000 N produces a reduction in diameter of 0.007 mm. Compute Poisson ratio if its elastic modulus is 100 GPa



Homework Equations



E=stress/strain




The Attempt at a Solution



my attempt

D original = 0.01m
change in D = 0.000007m
F=15000N
E= 100*10^9

V = passonse ratio = (change in D/D original)/(change in L/ L original)

we can replace (change in L/ L original) by (stress/E)

so

V=(change in D/D original)/(stress/E)

(change in D/D original) = (0.000007/0.01)
(stress/E) = (F/Area)/E
A= pi(0.01/2)^2

that gives me an answer of V = 0.21



but the tutorial sheet says the answer is 0.33

can you explain where i have gone wrong
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks fine to me, though I got ν=0.27.
 
vela said:
Your method looks fine to me, though I got ν=0.27.



elongation D = (4*F*V)/(pi*Doriginal*E)

is this a valid eqation??
 
buxZED said:
elongation D = (4*F*V)/(pi*Doriginal*E)

is this a valid eqation??
That might look more familiar if you divide both sides by D and rearrange it slightly:

[tex]\frac{\Delta D}{D} = \frac{4 F \nu}{\pi D^2 E} = \frac{F}{\pi(D/2)^2 E}\nu = \frac{F}{AE}\nu[/tex]

where [itex]A = \pi(D/2)^2[/itex] is the cross-sectional area.
 
vela said:
That might look more familiar if you divide both sides by D and rearrange it slightly:

[tex]\frac{\Delta D}{D} = \frac{4 F \nu}{\pi D^2 E} = \frac{F}{\pi(D/2)^2 E}\nu = \frac{F}{AE}\nu[/tex]

where [itex]A = \pi(D/2)^2[/itex] is the cross-sectional area.
why dose using this equation gives me a different answer for passoinse ratio?
 
It shouldn't. I suspect you're just making other errors while calculating or rounding off too much on intermediate steps. After all, I did the exact same calculations you did in your original post and got 0.27 while you got 0.21.
 
vela said:
It shouldn't. I suspect you're just making other errors while calculating or rounding off too much on intermediate steps. After all, I did the exact same calculations you did in your original post and got 0.27 while you got 0.21.

i don't get it an I am confused
can u do a quick run true and tell me they are same?