1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Rotational Acceleration of a Wheel

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rotating wheel requires 3.05 s to rotate through 37.0 revolutions. Its angular speed at the end of the 3.05 s interval is 97.1 rad/s. What is the constant angular acceleration of the wheel?

2. Relevant equations
    Well from basic calculus I know that acceleration is equal to (dV/dT) or the derivative of velocity over derivative of time.

That is the only pertinent equation I can think of for this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the velocity, 97.1 rad/s, and divided it by the time, 3.05s.

(97.1/3.05)= 31.84 rad/s^2

According to the online homework this is incorrect. I cannot think of any other way to calculate it since the radius is not given.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A racing car travels on a circular track of radius 230 m. Suppose the car moves with a constant linear speed of 53.0 m/s.

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of its acceleration.

Part (a) had me calculate the velocity which came out to 0.23 rad/s. The velocity is correct.

2. Relevant equations
    a= linear acceleration
    A=rotational acceleration
    R=radius

A=a/R

circumference = 2piR

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured since it says a constant linear acceleration then the angular acceleration=0 because A=(0)/(230) = 0. This answer is incorrect according to the online homework. I'm not sure what else to do.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook