Calculating Sand Volume for a Cylindrical Containment Vessel

In summary, a spherical pressure vessel with a diameter of 10 m is enclosed in a cylindrical containment vessel with additional protective material, such as sand, added to provide support. To fill the remaining space in the cylinder, one would need to subtract the volume of the cylinder from the volume of the sphere.
nathan12345
A spherical pressure vessel with a diamter of 10 m is tightly enclosed in a cylindrical containment vessel with the sphere just touching on all 4 sides . Additional protective material (assume is sand ) is added to the cyclinder to provide additional support .How much sand is required so that all the space in the cylinder is filled ?
I am beginning a new course , and I am pretty new to the topic , but in my head I would calculate the volume of the sphere , and then the cylinder , and subtract the volume of the cylinder from the volume of the sphere ? .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Right... but it's the other way around: subtract the volume of the cylinder from the volume of the sphere...

subtract the volume of the sphere from the volume of the cylinder

BA9B4A01-2E3A-40AB-A27A-1E9683FCC772.png

1. What is the difference between area and volume?

Area refers to the measurement of the surface of a two-dimensional shape, while volume refers to the measurement of the space occupied by a three-dimensional object.

2. How do you calculate the area of a shape?

The formula for calculating the area of a shape depends on the type of shape. For example, the area of a square is calculated by multiplying the length of one side by itself. The area of a circle is calculated by multiplying pi (3.14) by the radius squared.

3. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid depends on the shape of the object. For example, the volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. The volume of a sphere is calculated by multiplying pi (3.14) by the radius cubed.

4. How do you find the surface area of a three-dimensional object?

The surface area of a three-dimensional object is the sum of all the areas of its individual faces. To find the surface area, you would need to calculate the area of each face and then add them together.

5. Can the area or volume of a shape be negative?

No, the area and volume of a shape cannot be negative. They represent physical measurements and must be positive values.