Calculating speed, when given total time it took, and the radius

In summary, The bug walking on the circular flowerpot completed one lap around the plantar in 12.86s. The radius of the plantar is 11 cm. Dividing the distance traveled (69.1150 cm) by the time (12.86s), the bug's speed was 5.3744 cm/s. It is important to pay attention to units when solving problems.
_emmakala
1. A bug walking on a circular flowerpot completes one lap around the plantar in 12.86s.
If the radius is of the plantar is 11 cm, how fast was it traveling? Answer in cm/s.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I tried dividing the diameter of the plantar by the speed & the speed by diameter. I tried the radius by the speed and vice-versa.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If he's walking on a circular flowerpot and completes "one lap" then presumably he's walking around the circumference of the pot, right?

So what is the distance that he traveled?

Thank you so much! So he traveled 69.1150 and then I would divide that by the total time it took which was 12.86 to get his speed which was 5.3744! Thank you so much!

_emmakala said:
Thank you so much! So he traveled 69.1150 and then I would divide that by the total time it took which was 12.86 to get his speed which was 5.3744! Thank you so much!

No problem.

But be careful! What are the units of his speed? (It's a very good habit to pay attention to units.)

Edit:
Nevermind, I just realized the OP says "answer in cm/s"

But still, it's good to notice units :)

As a scientist, we can use the equation v = 2πr/t to calculate the speed of the bug. In this equation, v represents the speed, r represents the radius, and t represents the time it took to complete one lap. Plugging in the given values, we get v = 2 * 3.14 * 11 cm / 12.86 s = 6.83 cm/s. Therefore, the bug was traveling at a speed of 6.83 cm/s around the flowerpot. It is important to note that the units for speed should always match the units for distance and time, so we use cm/s as our final answer. I hope this helps!

1. How do you calculate speed when given the total time and radius?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the total time taken. In this case, the distance traveled is equal to the circumference of the circle, which is calculated by multiplying 2π by the radius. So the formula for speed is: speed = (2π * radius) / total time.

2. How do you convert the time units when calculating speed?

The time unit used in the speed formula should be consistent with the unit used for the radius. For example, if the radius is given in meters, the time should also be in seconds. If the radius is given in kilometers, the time should be in hours. If the time is given in minutes, it should be converted to hours by dividing by 60.

3. Can speed be negative when using this formula?

No, speed cannot be negative when using this formula. Speed is defined as the rate of change of distance over time, and both distance and time are positive quantities. If a negative speed is calculated, it means there is an error in the given values or the calculation.

4. Can this formula be used for any type of motion?

This formula can be used for circular motion, where the object travels in a circular path with a constant speed. It cannot be used for other types of motion, such as linear or projectile motion.

5. How does the radius affect the speed in this formula?

The radius directly affects the speed in this formula. As the radius increases, the distance traveled also increases, resulting in a higher speed. Similarly, a smaller radius will result in a smaller distance traveled and a lower speed.