1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating speed, when given total time it took, and the radius

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    1. A bug walking on a circular flowerpot completes one lap around the plantar in 12.86s.
    If the radius is of the plantar is 11 cm, how fast was it traveling? Answer in cm/s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried dividing the diameter of the plantar by the speed & the speed by diameter. I tried the radius by the speed and vice-versa.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

If he's walking on a circular flowerpot and completes "one lap" then presumably he's walking around the circumference of the pot, right?

So what is the distance that he traveled?

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3
    Thank you so much! So he traveled 69.1150 and then I would divide that by the total time it took which was 12.86 to get his speed which was 5.3744! Thank you so much!

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

No problem.

But be careful! What are the units of his speed? (It's a very good habit to pay attention to units.)

Edit:
    Nevermind, I just realized the OP says "answer in cm/s"

But still, it's good to notice units :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted