Calculating Speed with Kinematics

In summary, the problem involves a car with an initial velocity that experiences a uniform acceleration of -5.60 m/s^2 for 4.20 seconds, resulting in a skid mark of 62.4 m before hitting a tree. The final velocity, which is also the car's speed upon impact with the tree, can be calculated using the equation D = VoT + 1/2AT^2. The professor's answer for the final velocity is 3.10 m/s. Following the professor's suggestion, the initial velocity can also be found by considering it as a positive acceleration.
darkmagicianoc
I need help with this problem using the kinematic equations. My professor gave me the answer to this problem and wants to know the steps to achieve this answer.

This is the example:
The driver of a car slams on the brakes when he sees a tree blocking the road. The car slows uniformly with an acceleration of -5.60 m/s^2 for 4.20 s, making straight skid marks 62.4 m long ending at the tree. With what speed does the car then strike the tree?

The professor's answer is:
The speed is 3.10 m/s.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me!

--Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using this equation:

D = VoT + 1/2AT^2

Where Vo is the initial velocity. Once you find this, it is fairly straightforward to calculate the final velocity. Or, for a simpler method, just enter it as a positive acceleration and Vo will work out to be the final velocity!

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! I took your advice and it worked perfectly! I really appreciate the time and effort you took to help me!

What is speed in kinematics?

Speed in kinematics is a measure of how fast an object is moving. It is the rate of change of distance over time.

How do you calculate speed in kinematics?

Speed in kinematics is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula is: speed = distance / time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that considers both magnitude and direction. This means that velocity takes into account the direction an object is moving in, while speed does not.

What is the formula for average speed in kinematics?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. The formula is: average speed = total distance / total time.

Can speed be negative in kinematics?

Yes, speed can be negative in kinematics. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. However, velocity cannot be negative as it takes into account the direction of motion.