Solving for Maximum Speed of Cube: Kinematics & Upthrust

In summary, the largest speed of cube is when the upthrust is zero and the acceleration is also zero.
jisbon
Homework Statement
1) Cube is initially attached to string on the bottom of a container filled with water
2) The density of cube is half of the density of water
3) The surface of the water is same level of the top surface of the cube
4) The density of water is p
What is the largest speed of cube when travelling upward after cutting the string?
Relevant Equations
-
So, I recognise that:

$$ma=pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3} $$
whereby $$pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right)$$ is the upthrust while the other is mg.

So, to find the largest speed of cube, I will assume that acceleration is zero since the acceleration slowly decreases after I cut the string (as mg = upthrust)
So, I should take a=0
I found a to be :
$$\dfrac {pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3}}{m} $$
and y= 1/2L after making the upthrust and mg equals
So using kinematics, I should be able to find v with :
$$v^2=u^2+2as$$
where a is what I found above and s to be 1/2 L. However, the answer comes out as 0.
Not sure what happened here :/
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
So using kinematics,
The equation you quote is only valid for constant acceleration.
You could use energy.

haruspex said:
The equation you quote is only valid for constant acceleration.
You could use energy.
What will be the energy involved in this case though?
Initial energy = gpe? Final energy = gpe+ ke?
Thanks

jisbon said:
What will be the energy involved in this case though?
Initial energy = gpe? Final energy = gpe+ ke?
Thanks
Yes. Remember to take into account the water's GPE.
An alternative is to solve the differential equation you had for y.

haruspex said:
Yes. Remember to take into account the water's GPE.
An alternative is to solve the differential equation you had for y.
By differential equation for y, do you mean integrating $$\dfrac {pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3}}{m}$$ in terms of t?

jisbon said:
By differential equation for y, do you mean integrating $$\dfrac {pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3}}{m}$$ in terms of t?
No, you clearly cannot do that. I mean solving the differential equation of which that forms part:
$$\ddot y=\dfrac {pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3}}{m}$$

You may recognise that as a well known form of equation in mechanics.

haruspex said:
No, you clearly cannot do that. I mean solving the differential equation of which that forms part:
$$\ddot y=\dfrac {pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3}}{m}$$

You may recognise that as a well known form of equation in mechanics.
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to recognise any equations here. Do you mean solving
$$ma = {pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3}}$$

jisbon said:
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to recognise any equations here. Do you mean solving
$$ma = {pg\left( L^{2}\right) \left( L-y\right) -\dfrac {1}{2}pgL^{3}}$$
Yes, but a is the same as ##\ddot y##, and the nature of the equation is more obvious in that form. To make it more obvious still, we can collapse various groups of constants into single items:
##\ddot y +Ay+B=0##.
And to make it blindingly obvious, substitute z=y+B/A:
##\ddot z +Az=0##.

What is the maximum speed of a cube?

The maximum speed of a cube can be determined by solving for its kinematics, which involves calculating its acceleration, velocity, and displacement over a given time period.

How do you calculate the maximum speed of a cube?

To calculate the maximum speed of a cube, you will need to use the equations of kinematics, which include acceleration (a), initial velocity (v0), final velocity (v), displacement (d), and time (t). The specific equation to use will depend on the given information and what is being solved for.

What is the role of upthrust in determining the maximum speed of a cube?

Upthrust, also known as buoyant force, is the force that acts on an object submerged in a fluid. This force can affect the acceleration and velocity of the cube, and therefore plays a role in determining its maximum speed.

Can the maximum speed of a cube change?

Yes, the maximum speed of a cube can change depending on various factors such as the shape and size of the cube, the fluid it is submerged in, and the external forces acting on it. Additionally, the maximum speed can also change as time progresses and the cube experiences acceleration or deceleration.

What are some real-life applications of solving for the maximum speed of a cube?

The knowledge of solving for the maximum speed of a cube can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and fluid dynamics. It can also be used in practical scenarios such as calculating the maximum speed of a submarine or determining the maximum speed at which a boat can travel through water.