Calculating Standard Deviation for a Sample of Batteries

• Thread starter USN2ENG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: So the probability that the average voltage is less than 62 would be: probability = (144-62)/144 = 66.7%
USN2ENG

Homework Statement

This was an example but I am not sure why there is a difference in the way they are calculating the standard deviation.

A type of battery is produced with an average voltage of 60 with a standard deviation of 4 volts.

A: If 9 batteries are selected at random, what is the probability that the total voltage of the 9 batteries is greater than 530?
B: What is the probability that the average voltage of the 9 batteries is less than 62?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem A: For the stdev they just: sqrt( 9 * 4^2) = 12

Problem B: For the stdev they just: 4/sqrt(9) = 1.3333

I get why Problem B is the way it is. We are dealing with a sample and we have the population stdev and we need to approximate the sample standard deviation by dividing by sqrt(n). But for Problem A, I feel like I am missing something simple. Any clarification would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
USN2ENG said:

Homework Statement

This was an example but I am not sure why there is a difference in the way they are calculating the standard deviation.

A type of battery is produced with an average voltage of 60 with a standard deviation of 4 volts.

A: If 9 batteries are selected at random, what is the probability that the total voltage of the 9 batteries is greater than 530?
B: What is the probability that the average voltage of the 9 batteries is less than 62?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem A: For the stdev they just: sqrt( 9 * 4^2) = 12

Problem B: For the stdev they just: 4/sqrt(9) = 1.3333

I get why Problem B is the way it is. We are dealing with a sample and we have the population stdev and we need to approximate the sample standard deviation by dividing by sqrt(n). But for Problem A, I feel like I am missing something simple. Any clarification would be great.

The total and the average have different variances. Go back and review your formulas.

V[9X] = 81 * V[X] = 81 * (1.33333) = 144 and then the stdev = 12

Sorry, for some reason I had never put that together.

1. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics summarize and describe the characteristics of a set of data, while inferential statistics make predictions or generalizations about a larger population based on a sample of data.

2. What is the purpose of calculating measures of central tendency?

Measures of central tendency, such as mean, median, and mode, help us understand the typical or average value of a set of data.

3. How do I determine which statistical test to use?

The type of statistical test to use depends on the research question, the type of data, and the study design. Consulting with a statistician or using online resources can help determine the appropriate test.

4. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation means that two variables are related or change together, while causation means that one variable causes a change in the other. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

5. How do I interpret p-values?

P-values indicate the probability of obtaining results as extreme as the observed results if the null hypothesis (no difference or no relationship) is true. A smaller p-value suggests stronger evidence against the null hypothesis.