Calculating Tension Force in a Tug-of-War

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 20K views
temaire
Messages
275
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The diagram below shows two people having a tug-of-war. Determine the unknown tension force if person A is winning.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8286/forcefp2.gif​


Homework Equations


None that I think are necessary.


The Attempt at a Solution


I think that the unkown tension for person B would be 900 N, because tension is constant throughout the entire rope.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
temaire said:

Homework Equations


None that I think are necessary.

How about Fnet = ma?

temaire said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I think that the unkown tension for person B would be 900 N, because tension is constant throughout the entire rope.

Typically, since the mass of the rope is negligible compared to the rest of the system we assume it to be massless. If so, then the tension throughout the rope is indeed the same (of course if it has mass and is not accelerating then you get the same result as well).

In this case, since A is winning, the rope would be accelerating (unless A is winning at a constant velocity!). However, since the rope is assumed massless then the tension is the same throughout as previously stated.
 
Last edited:
No, they don't give a mass for the rope. Thanks for the help though guys.