1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the boil-off rate of liquid helium

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An aluminum rod 0.500 m in length and with a cross-sectional area of 2.60 cm2 is inserted into a thermally insulated vessel containing liquid helium at 4.20 K. The rod is initially at340 K. (Aluminum has thermal conductivity of 3,100 W/m · K at 4.20 K; ignore its temperature variation. Aluminum has a specific heat of 0.215 cal/g · °C and density of 2.70 g/cm3.The density of liquid helium is 0.125 g/cm3.)

(a) If the circular surface of the upper end of the rod is maintained at 340 K, what is the approximate boil-off rate of liquid helium in litres per second after the lower half has reached 4.20 K?
    ___________ litres/s

2. Relevant equations
    ΔL/L0 = αΔT, I'm not really sure what else would be applicable.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly have no idea where to start with this question so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Unless you are expected to solve the diffusion equation using Fourier series, I would assume that only the lower tip of the rod is in the helium. So it becomes a question about rate of conduction of heat along a rod with the ends at fixed temperatures.
    You must have been taught something about conduction and temperature gradients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted