Calculating the current supplied by a battery

In summary, the formula for calculating current supplied by a battery is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes (A), V is the voltage in volts (V), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω). The voltage of a battery can be determined by using a voltmeter or checking the label/specifications. The current supplied is affected by the voltage and resistance in the circuit, as well as the type and condition of the battery. The resistance in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law or measured with a multimeter. The current supplied by a battery can be changed by adjusting the resistance in the circuit, but the voltage will remain constant unless changed or the battery de
Bugsy23

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the total current a battery supplies in a steady state. The voltage supplied by the battery is 2.0V, and the total effective resistance of the circuit is 22kΩ

Homework Equations

i=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

i=2/22000=9.09*10-5amps

Is it actually possible to have such a small current in a circuit or have my calculations gone wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
from the data you are given, it should be correct...

1. What is the formula for calculating current supplied by a battery?

The formula for calculating current supplied by a battery is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes (A), V is the voltage in volts (V), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω).

2. How do I determine the voltage of a battery?

The voltage of a battery can be determined by using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Alternatively, you can also refer to the label or specifications of the battery, which usually indicate the voltage.

3. What affects the current supplied by a battery?

The current supplied by a battery is affected by the voltage and resistance in the circuit. Higher voltage will result in a higher current, while higher resistance will result in a lower current. The type and condition of the battery can also affect the current supplied.

4. How do I calculate the resistance in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms (Ω), V is the voltage in volts (V), and I is the current in amperes (A). Alternatively, you can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance in a circuit.

5. Can I change the current supplied by a battery?

Yes, the current supplied by a battery can be changed by adjusting the resistance in the circuit. Increasing the resistance will result in a lower current, while decreasing the resistance will result in a higher current. However, the voltage of the battery will remain constant unless it is changed or the battery depletes over time.