Power supplied by battery in a multiple loop Circuit

In summary, The task is to calculate the power supplied from each of the 12V batteries in the given circuit. The current in each resistor and the potential difference between points a and b have already been solved for. The formula P=IV, where I is calculated by dividing V/R(equivalence), is used to calculate power. After several unsuccessful attempts, the current in each branch is found using Kirchoff's law and the formula P=I^2R is used to calculate the power dissipated in each resistor. The total power delivered by both voltage sources can be found by summing the I^2R values for all resistances in the circuit, but the power of each source must be calculated separately.
snoweangel27

Homework Statement

I am given the circuit, which is shown in the attachment, and I need to calculate the power supplied from each of the 12V batteries.

Homework Equations

I have already solved for the current in each resistor and the potential difference between a and b.

The only equation I know to use is P= IV, where I am calculating I by dividing V/R(equivalence)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving this multiple times, all without success. My most current attempt at the Power supplied from the right side was finding R(equivalence) = 9 the using I=V/R, then using the new R (4/3) in P=IV P=(4/3 A)*12V, where P=8, which I thought was a rather low number.

Attachments

• F26-59.JPG
    F26-59.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,874
Physics news on Phys.org
ur attachment is pending approval.. why don't u upload it somewhere.. like: http://bayimg.com and then post it here so that it becomes available immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I just didn't think about it.

F26-59.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/snoweangel27/F26-59.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Kirchoff's law to find the amount of current flowing in each branch i.e. through each resistor. Once you've done that, use the formula:

[tex]
P = I^2R
[/tex]

to find the power dissipated.

Should I calculate the Power dissipated from each resistor in the loop then sum them to get the total power?

Last edited:
snoweangel27 said:
Should I calculate the Power dissipated from each resistor in the loop then sum them to get the total power?

If you sum [tex] I^2R[/tex] for all the resistances in the circuit that will give you the total power delivered by both voltage sources. But you need the power of each of them separately.

A voltage source with potential difference [tex]V[/tex] that delivers a current [tex]I[/tex] delivers a power [tex]VI[/tex]

What is the purpose of using a battery in a multiple loop circuit?

The battery serves as the power source for the circuit, providing the necessary electrical energy to make the components function.

How does the power supplied by a battery affect the overall circuit?

The power from the battery determines the voltage and current in the circuit, which in turn affects the functioning of the components and the overall performance of the circuit.

Can the power supplied by a battery be increased or decreased in a multiple loop circuit?

Yes, the power supplied by a battery can be adjusted by changing the voltage or current in the circuit. This can be done by using different batteries or by using components such as resistors to modify the current and voltage.

What happens if the power supplied by a battery is too high for the circuit?

If the power supplied by a battery is too high, it can cause damage to the components in the circuit. This can lead to overheating, short circuits, and other malfunctions.

Is the power supplied by a battery in a multiple loop circuit constant?

No, the power supplied by a battery can vary depending on the load and the state of the battery. As the battery is used and drained, the power supplied may decrease and affect the performance of the circuit.