1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power supplied by battery in a multiple loop Circuit

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given the circuit, which is shown in the attachment, and I need to calculate the power supplied from each of the 12V batteries.

2. Relevant equations
    I have already solved for the current in each resistor and the potential difference between a and b.

The only equation I know to use is P= IV, where I am calculating I by dividing V/R(equivalence)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried solving this multiple times, all without success. My most current attempt at the Power supplied from the right side was finding R(equivalence) = 9 the using I=V/R, then using the new R (4/3) in P=IV P=(4/3 A)*12V, where P=8, which I thought was a rather low number.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2
    ur attachment is pending approval.. why dont u upload it somewhere.. like: http://bayimg.com and then post it here so that it becomes available immediately.

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
  5. Feb 13, 2008 #4
    Use Kirchoff's law to find the amount of current flowing in each branch i.e. through each resistor. Once you've done that, use the formula:

[tex]
    P = I^2R
    [/tex]

to find the power dissipated.

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5
    Should I calculate the Power dissipated from each resistor in the loop then sum them to get the total power?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  7. Feb 14, 2008 #6
    If you sum [tex] I^2R[/tex] for all the resistances in the circuit that will give you the total power delivered by both voltage sources. But you need the power of each of them separately.

A voltage source with potential difference [tex]V[/tex] that delivers a current [tex]I[/tex] delivers a power [tex]VI[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?