1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Ksp of Calcium hydroxide at room temp

1. Dec 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I conducted a titration experiment in which 0.1g of KHP was dissolved in 50mL of distilled water and placed in an Erlenmeyer flask. I filtered a Ca(OH)2 solution (that was left out open on the lab benches for us to use) and put that into the burette and titrated. Ultimately, the Ksp i calculated was 3.0 x10^-7 whereas the accepted Ksp value is 5.02 x10^-6. This gave me a percent error of 94%. I'm not as concerned about the fact that i got a huge error as much as i dont understand why. Some of the possible errors i can think of are that the temperature was cooler than 25 degrees and that the solution wasnt filtered properly. The issue is that both of those errors would have caused higher Ksp values than the accepted, not lower like mine.

2. Relevant equations
    c=n/V
    Ksp= [Ca 2+][OH -]^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that if my Ksp is lower, my concentrations must be lower which means i used too much calcium hydroxide. i dont know why however

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How precisely was the KHP weighted? Was it correctly dried before use? What indicator was used?

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3
    the KHP was measured exactly each trial, all proper titration procedures were followed, and phenolphthalein was used. However, in any case i doubt such errors would result in such a large deviation from the theoretical value

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4

Borek

Separately not, but they could combine producing a larger error than expected.

If the solution was left in the open it was partially neutralized by CO2 before you started the titration.

6. Dec 10, 2016 #5
    So if the solution was partially neutralized by carbon dioxide, would that mean that it was less basic and therefore more of the calcium hydroxide solution would have to be used in order for it to be standardized by the KHP? And that would be a cause for the increase in volume used, which decreases concentration, and creates a lowe Ksp than the theoretical value?

7. Dec 10, 2016 #6

Borek

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted