Chemistry: Ksp calculation confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the Ksp value for calcium hydroxide from experimental data. The formula for Ksp is given as [Ca^2+]*[OH^-]^2 and the attempt at a solution involves titrating a saturated Ca(OH)2 aqueous solution with EDTA and using the resulting data to calculate the concentration of Ca^2+ and OH^- ions. However, it is mentioned that this method of determination may not be accurate due to the presence of a CaOH- complex in the solution. Despite this, the person was able to get an A for the lab.
UselessLadder

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the Ksp value for calcium hydroxide from experimental data. We titrated 10.00 mL of saturated Ca(OH)2 aqueous solution with 11.00 mL of 0.01607 M EDTA.

Homework Equations

The Ksp formula is given in my manual as [Ca^2+]*[OH^-]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the # of moles of EDTA by multiplying molarity by liters = 0.0001768 mol.

Since the stoichiometric ratio of Ca^2+ to EDTA is 1:1, 0.0001768 mol of ca^2+ have been titrated.

Now I divided that by 0.010 L to get the [Ca^2+] = 0.01768 M

I got the OH^- concentration by multiplying 0.01768 x 2 = 0.03535 M.

Using the above formula, [001768]*[0.3535]^2 = 2.209*10^-5

Herein is the problem: my book gives the Ksp as 8.0*10^-6. So my result is pretty far off, giving me a percent error of 176%. Am I doing something wrong? Did I lose a zero somewhere or is my experimental data flawed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations look OK to me. Doesn't mean your titration was right - unless I am mistaken it gives solubility of 0.13 g per 100 mL of the solution, while it should be closer to 0.17 g/100 mL at the room temperature.

Determining total concentration of calcium in the solution is not a good method of Ksp determination. Substantial part of Ca2+ is in the form of a CaOH- complex - while this calcium will get complexed by EDTA, it is not directly involved in Ksp. That's not something you can do anything about using the method you are using.

Likes 1 person
(Sorry for the super late reply)
You're right, that's a terrible way of getting Ksp. All my classmates got equally far-off results, but there wasn't anything to be done about it the way the lab was designed. Still, I got an A, so go figure. :)

1. What is Ksp and how is it calculated?

Ksp (solubility product constant) is a measure of the maximum amount of a solute that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature. It is calculated by multiplying the concentrations of the dissociated ions in a saturated solution, raised to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

2. How do I know which ions to include in the Ksp expression?

The ions included in the Ksp expression are determined by the balanced chemical equation of the dissolution reaction. The dissociated ions that have coefficients in the equation are included in the Ksp expression.

3. Can Ksp be used to predict the solubility of a compound?

Yes, Ksp can be used to predict the solubility of a compound. The solubility of a compound is directly related to its Ksp value. A higher Ksp value indicates a more soluble compound, while a lower Ksp value indicates a less soluble compound.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Ksp calculations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of Ksp calculations include temperature, the presence of other solutes in the solution, and the purity of the compounds used. It is important to use accurate and precise measurements and to follow the correct procedure for the dissolution reaction.

5. How is Ksp used in real-life applications?

Ksp calculations are commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science. Ksp values can help determine the solubility of compounds in different environments, which is important for understanding their properties and potential uses. Ksp calculations can also be used to monitor and control the concentration of ions in solution, which is crucial in many industrial processes.