Calculating the Laplace Transform of t^2*u(t-a)

  • Thread starter Thread starter mm391
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Laplace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
mm391
Messages
65
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to work out the inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a).

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have been old that it starts

(t-a)^2*u(t-a)... which I understand is substituting for (t-a). But I cannot seem to work out the rest can someone please help or explain. This isn't homework or coursework just a problem the lecturer failed to explain properly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
u(t-a) is the "Heaviside step function"? Then it is 0 for t< a so the Laplace transform is just
[tex]\int_a^\infty e^{-st}t^2 dt[/tex].

[itex]t^2u(t-a)[/itex] is NOT the same as [itex](t- a)^2u(t- a)[/itex]- that should be obvious- it is NOT "substituting for t- a". Substituting, say, x for t- a would mean that t= x+ a so you would have [itex](x+ a)^2u(x)[/tex]. You could as well use t for the variable, [itex](t+a)^2u(t)[/tex] but obviously if you substitute <b>for</b> t- a you are not going to still have t- a inside u. Making that substitution would make the integral<br /> [tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-st}(t+ a)^2dt[/tex]<br /> which will give the same result as before.[/itex][/itex]
 
mm391 said:

Homework Statement



I am trying to work out the inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a).

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have been old that it starts

(t-a)^2*u(t-a)... which I understand is substituting for (t-a). But I cannot seem to work out the rest can someone please help or explain. This isn't homework or coursework just a problem the lecturer failed to explain properly.

I don't know why you describe it as the inverse LT; what you want is the LT itself. Anyway, why not just use the definition
[tex]\cal{L}[u(t-a) t^2](s) = \int_{a}^{\infty} e^{-st} t^2 \, dt?[/tex]