1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the magnitude of point charges

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point charge of -6 µC is located at x = 1 m, y = -2 m. A second point charge of 12 µC is located at x = 1 m, y = 3 m.

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at x = -1 m, y = 0.

(b) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the force on an electron at x = -1 m, y = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\Sigma_{F}= k\frac{-6 \mu C}{8} + k\frac{12 \mu C}{13} = 1.08e4 \frac{N}{C}[/tex]

That's for the magnitude part of A. I've already submitted to many incorrect responses, but I would like to know how to do it. Thanks ahead of time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You need to find both the x and y components from each charge at the point of interest and add them up accordingly to find the resultant field.

4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    I did that for another problem that asked for the respective components, why is it necessary that I so that for this problem?

5. Sep 12, 2010 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Since I don't know what the other question was, I can't tell you what's different. You need to do vector components because the point of interest is not on the same line as the two charges. It is a two dimensional situation. Have you tried what I suggested?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook