Calculating the magnitude of point charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
ezperkins
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A point charge of -6 µC is located at x = 1 m, y = -2 m. A second point charge of 12 µC is located at x = 1 m, y = 3 m.

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at x = -1 m, y = 0.


(b) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the force on an electron at x = -1 m, y = 0.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\Sigma_{F}= k\frac{-6 \mu C}{8} + k\frac{12 \mu C}{13} = 1.08e4 \frac{N}{C}[/tex]


That's for the magnitude part of A. I've already submitted to many incorrect responses, but I would like to know how to do it. Thanks ahead of time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ezperkins said:

Homework Statement


A point charge of -6 µC is located at x = 1 m, y = -2 m. A second point charge of 12 µC is located at x = 1 m, y = 3 m.

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at x = -1 m, y = 0.


(b) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the force on an electron at x = -1 m, y = 0.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\Sigma_{F}= k\frac{-6 \mu C}{8} + k\frac{12 \mu C}{13} = 1.08e4 \frac{N}{C}[/tex]


That's for the magnitude part of A. I've already submitted to many incorrect responses, but I would like to know how to do it. Thanks ahead of time.

You need to find both the x and y components from each charge at the point of interest and add them up accordingly to find the resultant field.
 
I did that for another problem that asked for the respective components, why is it necessary that I so that for this problem?
 
Since I don't know what the other question was, I can't tell you what's different. You need to do vector components because the point of interest is not on the same line as the two charges. It is a two dimensional situation. Have you tried what I suggested?