Calculating the mass of the neutrino for a relativistic case

In summary, we need to find a ratio between the CNB and present day temperatures in order to determine if a particle is relativistic. The ratio between the CNB and present day temperatures is 1.68x10^{-4} eV.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
What mass would a neutrino need to still be relativistic today (T = 2.37K) ?
Relevant Equations
##T_{\nu} = T_{\gamma}/1.40##
I came across a question that states

What mass would a neutrino need to still be relativistic today (T = 2.37K) ?

So for a particle to be relativistic we need ##pc \gg mc^2##

Well Neutrino was relativistic in the early universe, so I took the time when the neutrino decoupled which is approximately ##\approx 1 MeV##

So I did something like

$$\frac{E_{now}}{E_{dec}} = \frac{kT_{now}}{T_{dec}} = \frac{8.617\times 10^{-5} eV K^{-1} \times 2.73K}{1Mev} = 2.3 \times 10^{-10}$$

But I am kind of stuck here since we need some value for the neutrino mass I guess ? Or my approach is completely wrong (?)
In general, how can we solve this kind of problem? What makes the transition from Non-Relativistic to the relativistic case? The temperature of the universe right..? For instance when the temperature of the universe was larger than the ##1 MeV## we would call protons relativistic

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That makes no sense at all. The question is what momenta the neutrinos have now compared to their mass. The ratio of the energies now and then is not directly relevant. What is relevant is the CNB temperature relative to the CMB temperature as this sets the momentum scale, which you need to compare to the neutrino mass.

Orodruin said:
What is relevant is the CNB temperature relative to the CMB temperature as this sets the momentum scale, which you need to compare to the

Oh do you mean CMB tempeture now vs CNB temperature right ? Thats what I did ?

Let us say we find a ratio ##q##. Then what can I do ?
##q \gg \frac{m_{\tau}^{now}}
{m_{\tau}^{CNB}}##

CNB happened when the neutrinos are decouples (I suppose) and the current CMB tempeture is 2.73 K ?

Did you mean the CMB tempeture at the photon decoupling ?

Arman777 said:
Oh do you mean CMB tempeture now vs CNB temperature right ? Thats what I did ?
Yes and no.

Even if neutrinos decouple before photons they would have the same temperature today if the Universe just expanded and nothing else happened. However, this is not the case. The photon gas has since been heated by electrons becoming non-relativistic. How this affects the ratio between photon and neutrino temperatures should be described in any introductory book on cosmology.

The only relevant quantity is the CNB temperature today as only this will relate to the neutrino momentum today.

You are talking about reheating I see. So current CNB temperature is ##1.95K##

##E_{CNB}^{now} = 1.68 \times 10^{-4} eV##. The earlier times ##E_{CNB}^{dec}= 1 MeV##

so $$\frac{E_{CNB}^{now}}{E_{CNB}^{dec}} = \frac{1.68 \times 10^{-4} eV} {1MeV} = 1.68 \times 10^{10}$$

So the momentum of the neutrino decreased by a factor of ##10^{10}##.

At this point we need some neutrino mass information to put a limit ?

Again, the temperature at decoupling is irrelevant and the only relevant temperature for the question is the temperature now.
Orodruin said:
The only relevant quantity is the CNB temperature today as only this will relate to the neutrino momentum today.

Likes Arman777
So $$m_{\tau} << 1.68 \times 10^{-4} eV$$

Is this correct ?

Yes, although what you describe with the ##\ll## is what we would call an ultra-relativistic neutrino. For relativistic effects to be relevant, you only need ##p \gtrsim m## and this would qualify for us to call the neutrino relativistic.

Likes Arman777
Orodruin said:
Yes, although what you describe with the ##\ll## is what we would call an ultra-relativistic neutrino. For relativistic effects to be relevant, you only need ##p \gtrsim m## and this would qualify for us to call the neutrino relativistic.
Thanks a lot.

The question is actually easy. I don't know why I couldn't think like this...

1. How do you calculate the mass of a neutrino for a relativistic case?

To calculate the mass of a neutrino in a relativistic case, you can use the formula: m = E/c^2, where m is the mass, E is the energy, and c is the speed of light. This formula assumes that the neutrino is traveling at the speed of light.

2. Can the mass of a neutrino change in a relativistic case?

Yes, the mass of a neutrino can change in a relativistic case. According to the theory of special relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases. Therefore, the mass of a neutrino can change depending on its speed.

3. How does the mass of a neutrino affect its behavior in a relativistic case?

The mass of a neutrino can affect its behavior in a relativistic case in a few ways. First, a higher mass neutrino will have a lower speed, and therefore a shorter wavelength. Additionally, a higher mass neutrino will interact more strongly with other particles, leading to different scattering patterns.

4. What is the importance of calculating the mass of a neutrino in a relativistic case?

Calculating the mass of a neutrino in a relativistic case is important for understanding the behavior and properties of these elusive particles. It can also provide insight into fundamental physics theories, such as the Standard Model and the theory of special relativity.

5. Are there any challenges in calculating the mass of a neutrino for a relativistic case?

Yes, there are several challenges in calculating the mass of a neutrino for a relativistic case. One of the main challenges is accurately measuring the energy of a neutrino, as they are difficult to detect and have very low interaction rates. Additionally, there are uncertainties in the mass of other particles involved in the calculation, which can affect the final result.