1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the probability of a certain measurement

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This really is not a homework problem but I am studying for the qualifying exam upcoming. I came across an objective that I am not familiar with. I'm given a wave function made of a linear combination of spherical harmonics with complex coefficients. I'm asked to calculate the possible values of measurement for [itex]L^{2}[/itex] and [itex]L_{z}[/itex] which is of course straight forward. What I am unsure of though is it asks me to calculate the probability of obtaining those values. Perhaps I missed this in my undergraduate coursework somehow, but I'll list the wavefunction.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\psi=A[(1+2i)Y_{3}^{-3}+(2-i)Y_{3}^{2}+\sqrt{10}Y_{2}^{2}][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've already calculated the normalization constant A, and found it via integration and the orthogonality condition to be

[itex]A=\frac{1}{4}\sqrt{\frac{7}{6\pi}}[/itex]

I know the values of angular momentum [itex]L^{2}[/itex] are [itex]12\hbar^{2}[/itex] corresponding to [itex]\left|3,-3\right\rangle[/itex], and [itex]\left|3,2\right\rangle[/itex]. Also, [itex]6\hbar^{2}[/itex] corresponding to [itex]\left|2,2\right\rangle[/itex]. I am utterly lost on how to calculate this probability. I have tried this:

[itex]|\left\langle 3, m\right|A[(1+2i)\left|3,-3\right\rangle+(2-i)\left|3, 2\right\rangle+\sqrt{10}\left|2,2\right\rangle]|^{2}[/itex] for m = -3, 2

&

[itex]|\left\langle 2, 2\right|A[(1+2i)\left|3,-3\right\rangle+(2-i)\left|3, 2\right\rangle+\sqrt{10}\left|2,2\right\rangle]|^{2}[/itex]

This gives me values that do not add up to 1 as expected. Is this right, and if so perhaps I am doing it incorrectly? Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Usually the functions ##Y^m_l## are normalized so they form an orthonormal set. If so, I don't see how you got the value for ##A##.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    That is true but then how else would I calculate the value for A if not by the condition,

[itex]\int\int Y_{l'}^{m'}\bar{Y_{l}^{m}}d\Omega = \frac{4\pi}{2l+1}\delta_{l,l'}\delta_{m,m'}[/itex]

where [itex]d\Omega = sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi [/itex] for [itex]0≤\theta≤\pi[/itex], and [itex]0≤\phi≤2\pi[/itex] ?

The condition, as always, is to calculate [itex]\int |\psi|^{2} dV[/itex]=1 over all space, is it not? According to this, and by orthogonality of the spherical harmonics the cross terms will cancel and the resulting integration yields the number I obtained. Perhaps I miss-calculated something.

5. Mar 12, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, you are using a normalization of the spherical harmonics such that they are orthogonal but not orthonormal. See here for some different choices of normalization. [EDIT: I agree with your result for A for your normalization.]

The answers for the individual probabilities will depend on how the functions ##Y^m_l## are assumed to be normalized in the statement of the problem. But, nevertheless, the sum of the probabilities should add to 1.

The probability for measuring ##L^2 = 6\hbar^2## would be ##\frac{|<2,2|\psi>|^2}{|<\psi|\psi>|^2|<2,2|2,2>|^2}## if ##|2,2>## denotes ##Y^2_2##.

6. Mar 12, 2013 #5
    So it turns out I used the wrong normalization. In that case my normalization constant becomes

[itex]A=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5}}[/itex]

Such that the probabilities become, 1/4 each for measuring the [itex]12\hbar^{2}[/itex] and 1/2 for measuring the [itex]6\hbar^{2}[/itex]. This of course adds up to 1 as expected. Thanks for your help!

7. Mar 12, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted