Calculating the Torque to mix a liquid

In summary, there is a tank with a length of 12' 2" and a diameter of 65", capable of holding 2000 gallons of liquid asphalt with a viscosity of 8000CP, which is calculated to weigh 8lbs per gallon. The tank has 8 paddles that rotate at 25rpm, with a paddle arm diameter of 60". The question is how to calculate the torque needed for mixing. One possible solution is to calculate the Reynolds number using the formula Re = 10.7 * D^2 * N * specific gravity / visc, where N is the rpm and D is the diameter of the mixer. If the Reynolds number is 11.0 or less, the required torque can
SevenToFive
There is a tank that is 12' 2" long and 65" in diameter that is capable of holding 2000 gallons of liquid asphalt, which is calculated to be 8lbs per gallon, viscosity is 8000CP. There are 8 paddles in this tank that they want to rotate around 25rpm. The diameter of the paddle arms is 60". How do I calculate the torque needed to "mix" this? Am I on the right path thinking that I need to calculate the Reynolds number by
Re = 10.7 * D^2 * N * specific gravity. / visc,
where N is the rpm, D is the diameter of the mixer. If the if the Reynolds number is 11.0 or less I can use
Torque [inch-pounds] = 6.8x10^-8 * visc * N * D^3 to get my required torque. But what if the Reynolds number is above 1.0?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SevenToFive said:
There is a tank that is 12' 2" long and 65" in diameter that is capable of holding 2000 gallons of liquid asphalt, which is calculated to be 8lbs per gallon, viscosity is 8000CP. There are 8 paddles in this tank that they want to rotate around 25rpm. The diameter of the paddle arms is 60". How do I calculate the torque needed to "mix" this? Am I on the right path thinking that I need to calculate the Reynolds number by
Re = 10.7 * D^2 * N * specific gravity. / visc,
where N is the rpm, D is the diameter of the mixer. If the if the Reynolds number is 11.0 or less I can use
Torque [inch-pounds] = 6.8x10^-8 * visc * N * D^3 to get my required torque. But what if the Reynolds number is above 1.0?

Thanks for the help everyone.

1. How do you calculate torque to mix a liquid?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the mixing tool by the distance from the center of rotation to the point of force application.

2. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

Torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. How does the viscosity of the liquid affect torque calculation?

The higher the viscosity of the liquid, the more resistance it will have to mixing and therefore the greater the torque required to mix it.

4. Can the speed of rotation affect torque calculation?

Yes, the faster the rotation, the greater the centrifugal force acting on the mixing tool, which will require more torque to overcome.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact torque calculation for liquid mixing?

Other factors that can affect torque calculation include the shape and size of the mixing vessel, the type and design of the mixing tool, and the density and temperature of the liquid.