Calculating the volume of individual solution(s) [Mole/Atoms Concept]

In summary, Mr of ethanol is 46.069, Mr of water is 18.015, Mr of SiO2 is 60.084, and the volume of tetraethyl orthosilicate, ethanol, and water is x,y,z ml respectively.
jisbon
Homework Statement
80 g solid ##SiO_{2}## is made by mixing liquid tetraethyl orthosilicate
##(Si(OC_{2}H_{5})_{4})##, ethanol ##(C_{2}H_{5}OH)##, and water at room temperature to form a
solution. The total volume of the solution is 700 ml. The ratio of the number of
water molecules to that of Si atoms is 4:1. The solution is then processed, which
involves various heat treatments, to form solid ##SiO_{2}##. The mass densities of ##SiO_{2}##,
##(Si(OC_{2}H_{5})_{4})##, ##(C_{2}H_{5}OH)## and water are 2.2 g/cm3, 0.934 g/cm3, 0.801 g/cm3 and 1g/cm3, respectively. Assume that all Si atoms have been converted to ##SiO_{2}##.
Calculate the volume of tetraethyl orthosilicate, ethanol and water in the solution (give
your answer in ml).
Relevant Equations
amt = mass/mr
density = mass/volume
no. of atoms = amt * ##(6.02*10^{23})##
My answer seems to be way-off/improbable, so I figured something is wrong with it.

From the periodic table,
Mr of tetraethyl orthosilicate = 208.33
Mr of ethanol = 46.069
Mr of water = 18.015
Mr of SiO2 = 60.084

Let the volume of tetraethyl orthosilicate, ethanol and water be x,y,z ml respectively.
x + y + z =700 --- (1)
Since density = mass/volume,

Mass of tetraethyl orthosilicate = 0.934x
Mass of ethanol = 0.801y
Mass of water = z

Since the mass of SiO2 is 80g, can I assume the mass of the above solutions equates to 80g?

If I can:

0.934x+0.801y+z = 80? --- (2)

Also, since ratio of water molecules to Si atoms is 4:1,
No. of Si atoms = amt of Si * (6.02*10^23)
= 0.934x/208.33 * (6.02*10^23)
= 2.69*10^21 x
Amt of water = z/18.015

1579050833138.png

z= 0.3219x ---- (3)

Solving equations 1,2 and 3,

my values are weird and definitely incorrect (there were some negatives).

Any ideas? Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Since the mass of SiO2 is 80g, can I assume the mass of the above solutions equates to 80g?

No, it is much higher, as it contains much more than just SiO2.

Think about the stoichiometry of the process.

Borek said:
No, it is much higher, as it contains much more than just SiO2.

Think about the stoichiometry of the process.
Am I supposed to construct an equation for this? I wasn't taught any forms of them and hence not sure about this :/

You are told all you need. You have 80 g SiO2 - how many moles is that? How many moles of Si atoms? So how many moles of TEOS? What is the mass of TEOS? The volume? How many moles of water? Mass? Volume? Volume of ethanol?
(Note: this assumes no volume change on mixing, which isn't true, but you have to assume it to answer the question.)

mjc123 said:
You are told all you need. You have 80 g SiO2 - how many moles is that? How many moles of Si atoms? So how many moles of TEOS? What is the mass of TEOS? The volume? How many moles of water? Mass? Volume? Volume of ethanol?
(Note: this assumes no volume change on mixing, which isn't true, but you have to assume it to answer the question.)
Amount of SiO2 is 80/60.084 = 1.331 mol
This means there are 1.331 mol of Si atoms, which in turn mean 1.331 mol of TEOS?

OK so far

mjc123 said:
OK so far
Alright. So with 1.331 mol of TEOS, I can find the volume of it by:
Mass of TEOS = Mr * amt
= 208.33*1.331
Volume of TEOS = 208.33*1.331/2.2 = 126.03ml

Amt of water = 4*1.331
Mass = 18.015*4*1.331
Volume of water = (18.015*4*1.331)/1=95.91ml
Volume of ethanol = 700 - 126.03-95.91?

thanks

Right. All you're missing is the final answer.

Likes jisbon
Note: equivalence between moles of SiO2 and TEOS means you just followed stoichiometry - you don't need exact reaction equation for that, you need just a ratio of the substances involved.

Likes jisbon
jisbon said:
Am I supposed to construct an equation for this? I wasn't taught any forms of them and hence not sure about this :/
At your school you are being taught stoichiometry before learning chemical equations? I’ve taught HS chemistry, AP and pre-AP chemistry and that NEVER happened! You have my sympathies!😟

chemisttree said:
At your school you are being taught stoichiometry before learning chemical equations? I’ve taught HS chemistry, AP and pre-AP chemistry and that NEVER happened! You have my sympathies!😟
Thing is this course I am currently learning is actually under Engineering: Intro to materials. So I didn't really have any chemistry background hahas :(

1. How do you calculate the volume of a solution using the mole concept?

To calculate the volume of a solution using the mole concept, you first need to determine the number of moles of the solute present in the solution. This can be done by dividing the mass of the solute by its molar mass. Then, you can use the molarity (moles of solute per liter of solution) to calculate the volume of the solution by dividing the number of moles by the molarity.

2. Can you use the mole concept to calculate the volume of a gas in a solution?

Yes, the mole concept can be used to calculate the volume of a gas in a solution. The ideal gas law (PV = nRT) can be rearranged to solve for volume (V), giving the formula V = nRT/P. Here, n represents the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and P is the pressure in atmospheres.

3. What is the difference between molarity and molality when calculating volume?

Molarity (M) is a measure of the concentration of a solution, while molality (m) is a measure of the concentration of a solution in terms of the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent. Therefore, when using the molarity to calculate volume, the units will be in liters, while when using the molality, the units will be in kilograms.

4. Can you use the mole concept to calculate the volume of a solution with multiple solutes?

Yes, the mole concept can still be used to calculate the volume of a solution with multiple solutes. You would first need to determine the number of moles of each solute present in the solution, then use the total number of moles and the total molarity to calculate the volume of the solution.

5. Is it necessary to convert units when using the mole concept to calculate volume?

Yes, it is important to convert all units to the appropriate SI units when using the mole concept to calculate volume. This includes converting mass to grams and temperature to Kelvin. This ensures that the calculations are accurate and consistent.