How Do You Convert 2.95 mol of Ba(OH)2 to Atoms?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter squares
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mole
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
squares
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
2.95 mol Ba(OH)4 to atoms. (I think I wrote this problem wrong. It might be (OH)2 instead).
I'm confused >.< Do I:
1) multiply 2.95 mol by 6.02 x 10^23 atoms or
or
2) multiply 2.95 mol x 6.02 x 10^23 molcules x 9 atoms.
or is it something else?

Also, how do I do these?
Calculate the mass of 3.01 x 10^23 formula units (ions) of Strontium hydroxide.
Find the number of atoms in 16.0g of sulfur

Please help if you can. ~____~
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
moles is amount of particles. When this compound is broken down it is split into 1Ba and 4(OH) [according to you].

moles * 6.02E23= number of particles
(Number of particles)*(Number of particles the molecule can decompose to)=number of ions of that particular particle.
 
eax said:
moles is amount of particles.
hence no. of molecules=2.95*6.023*10^23
hence no. of atoms= no. of molecules*no. of atoms per molecule(9 in your case, though it is Ba (OH)2, i.e. 5):smile:
Strontium hydroxide is Sr (OH)2
hence no. of formula units= no. of atoms
hence mass = (molarmass/avogadro's no.)*no. of units
same for next.
refer University Chemistry by Bruce Mahan for details.
 
if they're asking for the atoms of Ba(OH)2 and not its constituent ions, then you would simply solve this by factor labeling

2.95mol Ba(OH)2(6.022x10^23 molecules Ba(OH)2/1mol Ba(OH)2) =?, you should verify that the units cancel out during such processes