Calculating Velocity for Horizontal Motion in a Uniform Magnetic Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ttc0730
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A stone with a negative net charge of 0.010C is given a constant horizontal motion in a uniform magnetic field in the direction pointing into the page. The field's strength is 1.70T. How fast does the stone have to move in order for it to remain moving horizontally, without any vertical deviation?


Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


The stone travels perpendicular to the force, so I think regardless of velocity, there will be vertical deviation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that seems right. :confused:

Maybe they intend you to lay the paper flat, so that the B field is pointing downwards?
 
The question's diagram shows the magnetic field pointing into page, so I suppose its a "trick" question. Nevertheless, thank you for your help. I spent a long time looking at this because its the last question on the list.