What is the magnetic field generated by these two particle beams?

In summary, the magnetic field generated by a current along the x-axis is proportional to the current and in the direction of the current.
Anurag98
A uniform beam of positively charged particles is moving with a constant velocity parallel to another beam of negatively charged particles moving with the same velocity but in opposite direction separated by a distance d. Then, how should be the variation of magnetic field B along a perpendicular line drawn between the two beams?(For better view, imagine positive beam to be x-axis and negative beam to be y=1 line.)

I know that electric field will be there. But how the magnetic field will be generated and how will it vary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Anurag, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Please post in homework and use the template -- it's mandatory

What do you know of the B-field generated by a current ##i## along the x-axis ?

BvU said:

Thanks. I will take care of this from now on.

BvU said:

It follows Biot-Savarts Law. That is ##{μ(i×dl)} /{r^2}##. (I am not able to produce it in fraction expression)

I moved it to homework, but you must still show your effort before our helpers are allowed to help.

anorlunda said:
I moved it to homework, but you must still show your effort before our helpers are allowed to help.
But I only know about current producing Magnetic field and not about charge beam producing magnetic field

BvU said:

But it is charge beam and not a current carrying wire. Are both the above to be the same situations for magnetic field? If yes, then how?

See #5. Remember that current = moving charge

BvU said:
See #5. Remember that current = moving charge
So can we solve it using Ampere's circuital law?
As ##\vec{B}.{d\vec {l}} =μi=\frac{qv} {x}## But if it is so, then what should we take x?

Anurag98 said:
But it is charge beam and not a current carrying wire
What's the difference :wink: ?

Let a to b be on the x-axis, one unit of distance apart (1m).
How much charge per unit time goes from a to b on the x-axis if there is a current ##i## ?
And how much charge per unit time goes from a to b on the x-axis if there is a beam of particles with charge q that move with velocity ##v##.

Conclusion ?

Note that your exercise asks for a qualitative answer.

##
\vec{B}.{d\vec {l}} =μi \ ## I recognize. ##μ i=\frac{qv} {x} ## misses a ##\mu## .
What is the direction of ##\vec v## in your exercise ?
So what direction for ##x## ? for ##\vec B## ?

BvU said:
What's the difference :wink: ?

Let a to b be on the x-axis, one unit of distance apart (1m).
How much charge per unit time goes from a to b on the x-axis if there is a current ##i## ?
And how much charge per unit time goes from a to b on the x-axis if there is a beam of particles with charge q that move with velocity ##v##.

Conclusion ?

Note that your exercise asks for a qualitative answer.
Okay. I understood. From what I am able think is that the field varies radially from each current and that we can use principle of superposition?

You got it.
But be careful...:rolleyes:

BvU said:
##
\vec{B}.{d\vec {l}} =μi ## I recognize. ##\μ i=\frac{qv} {x} ## misses a ##\mu## .
What is the direction of ##\vec v## in your exercise ?
So what direction for ##x## ? for ##\vec B## ?
My mistake for μ. Please see # 12.

BvU said:
You got it.
Thanks for your help. :)

Likes BvU

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that surrounds a magnet or electrically charged object. It is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, and can exert a force on other charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field generated by two particle beams?

The magnetic field generated by two particle beams is created by the movement of charged particles within the beams. As the charged particles move, they create a magnetic field that is perpendicular to their direction of motion.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field generated by two particle beams?

The strength of the magnetic field generated by two particle beams is affected by the speed and charge of the particles, as well as the distance between the beams. Additionally, the strength of the beam's magnetic field may be affected by external factors such as the presence of other materials or magnetic fields.

4. How can the magnetic field generated by two particle beams be measured?

The magnetic field generated by two particle beams can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field and can provide precise measurements of the field created by the particle beams.

5. What are some potential applications of the magnetic field generated by two particle beams?

The magnetic field generated by two particle beams has a variety of potential applications, including particle acceleration, medical imaging, and particle colliders for scientific research. It can also be used in industrial processes, such as separating different types of materials based on their magnetic properties.