Calculating Velocity from Kinetic Energy: Solving for v in the r=mv/qb Formula

  • Thread starter Thread starter baylorbelle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Joules Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 22K views
baylorbelle
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
A proton with a kinetic energy of 4.6×10−16 J moves perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.26 T. What is the radius of its circular path?


I know the formula is r=mv/qb. the only thing not given is v. So my question is how do I get v from Joules? I know 1 Joule=1N/m, and that N=ma, but I don't know how to get velocity from that. Any help on that part would be greatly appreciated : )
 
Physics news on Phys.org
baylorbelle said:
1/2 mv^2
There you go. Now you can solve for v using the given information. (You may have to look up the mass of a proton.)