1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating vertical and horizontal components in projectile motion at a certain time

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stone is catapulted at time t = 0, with an initial velocity of magnitude 20.5 m/s and at an angle of 41.4° above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of the (a) horizontal and (b) vertical components of its displacement from the catapult site at t = 1.16 s? Repeat for the (c) horizontal and (d) vertical components at t = 1.70 s.

I tried multiple solutions, but none of them are right, so I do not know what I am doing wrong.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I think this is the closest I got to the answer, but I used the equation V=Vo(t)+(1/2)(a)(t)^2 So for the horizontal component at 1.16s I got x=20.5(1.16)+(1/2)(0)(1.16)^2 and I got x=23.78m. For the vertical component I got y=20.5(1.16)+(1/2)(-9.8)(1.16)^2 and y=17.18656m. For 1.7 seconds: x=20.5(1.7)+(1/2)(0)(1.7)^2 and I got x=34.85m for y: y=20.5(1.7)+(1/2)(-9.8)(1.7)^2 and y=20.689.
    (I think these were the closest answers I got, but I tried different methods which were all wrong so help is appreciated)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Re: Calculating vertical and horizontal components in projectile motion at a certain

The horizontal component of initial velocity is not 20.5

The vertical component of initial velocity is not 20.5

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3
    Re: Calculating vertical and horizontal components in projectile motion at a certain

So, If I have the correct initial velocity, this method would be correct?

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook