1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating viscosity of a liquid with a falling object

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small steel-bearing falls 25.0 cm in glycerol in 23.8 s and the same distance in castor oil in 15.1 s. The densities are for glycerol 1260 kg m−3 , for castor oil 961 kg m−3 , and for steel 7830 kg m−3 . The viscosity for glycerol is 1.490 Pa s. Calculate the viscosity for castor oil. All values are valid for 20 ◦C.

2. Relevant equations
    I guess Viscosity=Density*Velocity where the velocity is equal to Distance/time.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Thought I'd put the equation for the distance equal to each other and then rewrite it to get the viscosity of the castor oil, but I get the wrong value. It should be 0,988 Pas. I get the final equation to:
    Viscosity of Glycerol= (Density of Castor Oil*Viscosity of Castor*Time the steel bearing fell in the Glycerol)/(Density of Glycerol * time steel bearing fell in Castor oil)

The equation has not regarded the denisty of the steel-bearing though, so that might be the problem but I don't see how I would get around to fit it in.
    It is very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well then, could it be that the net driving force for falling is a density difference ?

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4
  6. Jun 2, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Call it ##R##, cross your fingers and hope it divides out in the answer :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted