Sanity check on falling steel ball in water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Sherwood Botsford
Messages
91
Reaction score
22

Homework Statement


What is the speed of a 5 mm steel ball falling through water at 10 C[/B]

Viscosity of water: 1.3059 * 10-3 Pa*s (Various online sources)

Homework Equations



Laminar flow:

Vt = gd2 (ρp - ρm)/18μ

Vt = terminal velocity
g = gravity (10m/s2)
d = diameter of ball
ρp = density of ball
ρm = density of medium
μ = viscosity of medium

Turbulent drag

Fd=12ρCdAv2

Fd = drag
Cd = drag coefficient = 1
A = cross section area
v = velocity.

Force of gravity on ball.
Fg = mg

Mass of ball
m = ρ*4πr3/3
I used 8000kg/m3 for density.

At this point I'm ignoring buoyancy effects.

The Attempt at a Solution



I initially did this using the stokes law calculator here:

http://www.meracalculator.com/physics/fluid-mechanics/stokes-law.php

But this gives me an answer of 75 m/sec. Which seems to me to be absurd, even for laminar flow.

This equation is for stokes law laminar flow. Units error for viscosity?

So try it for turbulent flow.

Mass of ball = .0005 kg = .5 gm this seems reasonable.
Fg = .005 N

Equating the above two formulas Fg = Fd and solve for v

v = √(12ρCdA/Fd)

Plugging in numbers I get 6.7 m/s While closer this still seems high. I would expect something on the order of a meter/s

I've been unable to find an online calculator to check on this[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sherwood Botsford said:
v = √(12ρCdA/Fd)
That would mean a steel ball with a larger surface area and a smaller mass would fall faster. Is that plausible?
The square root doesn't have units of speed either.
 
Crap. Comes from doing things in my head.

Cross section of ball = πd2/4
= 3.14 * 0.0052/4
= 20e-6 m2v2 = mg/(12ρCdA)

v=√(mg/(12ρCdA))

=√(.005/12*1000kg/m3* 1* 20e-6 m2))

=0.14 m/sec

Algebra mistake. This looks more reasonable. I think.
 
haruspex said:
Define ρ here.
Density of the medium being displaced by the falling sphere -- in this case water.

Yes?