Calculating Volume of Earth Removed in Open-Pit Coal Mine

  • Thread starter Thread starter lgen0290
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
lgen0290
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




A unit of area, often used in measuring land areas, is the "hectare", defined as 104 m2. An open-pit coal mine consumes 80 hectares of land, down to a depth of 26 m, each year. What volume of earth, in cubic kilometers, is removed in this time?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I calculated the area to be a square, with each side being .8944(sqrt of 800,000 divided by 1000). I multiplied this by .026. It gave me .0232. Ths answer is not correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Heres a hint:

I would start by figuring out how many kilometers squared there are per hectare, and then multiplying by 80. If you know that then you already have the top area converted to km. You seem like you know what you should do from there.
 
OK, there is .1km squared per hectacre. I multiplied by 80, then by .026. I got .208, which is not correct.
 
Your conversion from hectares to km^2 is incorrect. To figure out what is correct start with the equation 1,000,000 m^2 = 1 km^2. Then convert the 1 million m^2 to hectares, and then solve for how many km^2 are in one hectare.
 
lgen0290 said:
OK, there is .1km squared per hectacre.

this is not correct