Work done by gas expanding with pv=1000 from 1000 to 500 kPa

  • Thread starter Thread starter bradycat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Concept Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bradycat
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
A gas expands according to the equation pv=1000. where p is pressure in kPa and v is specific volume m^3/kg. If the gas pressure drops from 1000 to 500kPa, how much work was done by the gas??

Ok I am new to thermo and given a question and can't figure it out.
Do I use net flow work = p2v2-p1v1??
Answer is 693.1 kJ/kg.

or is it w-p delta v?
I am not sure.
Any help or direction would help thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start from
work = force x displacement
BUT remember that the force is not constant.