What is the Work Done by an Ideal Gas Expanding at Constant Temperature?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
vijiraghs
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two moles of an ideal gas expand to double the initial volume at a constant temperature of 400 K. Calculate the work done by the process.

Homework Equations



W=2.303nRTlog(v2/v1)

The Attempt at a Solution



i tried the formula and got 4613.959 J but the answer is 554.6 J
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't log(V2/V1)? I'm used to the form W=nRTln(V2/V1). I can't get either of those answers. Can you show how you got that?
 
hage567 said:
Are you sure it isn't log(V2/V1)? I'm used to the form W=nRTln(V2/V1). I can't get either of those answers. Can you show how you got that?

n=2; v2=2*v1;T=400 K; R=8.32

W=2.303nRTlog(v2/v1)
= 2.303*2*8.32*400*log(2v1/v1)
= 2.303*2*8.32*400*log(2)
= 2.303*2*8.32*400*0.3010
= 4613.959

we generally use logarithms and i don't know wat is "ln"